Minnesota's 7th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 12, 2014
Cook Political Report: Lean D
Heading into the election the incumbent is Collin Peterson (D), who was first elected in 1990.
The 7th District covers almost all of the western side of Minnesota. It includes Kittson, Roseau, Marshall, Penningotn, Red Lake, Polk, Norman, Mahnomen, Lake of the Woods, Beltrami, Clearwater, Clay, Becker, Otter Tail, Wadena, Todd, Traverse, Wilkin, Stevens, Big Stone, Swift, Chippewa, Stearns, Meeker, Lac qui Parle, Yellow Medicine, Renville, Redwood, Lyon, Sibley and Carver counties.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
August 12, 2014, primary results
Incumbent Collin Peterson (D), is one of seven early targets listed by the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) in the 2014 congressional elections. The seven targets align perfectly with the seven most Republican districts currently held by Democrats, according to FairVote's partisanship index. Peterson's district ranks as the 5th most Republican (45% D).
|U.S. House, Minnesota District 7 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Collin Peterson Incumbent||60.4%||197,791|
|Source: Minnesota Secretary of State, "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election" (dead link)|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Minnesota, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 House Race Ratings for August 8, 2014," accessed August 25, 2014
- FairVote's Monopoly Politics, "2014 House Projections," accessed August 25, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 25, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Minnesota Redistricting Map, "Map," accessed August 30, 2012
- Politico, "Democrat Collin Peterson to run again in Minnesota," accessed March 17, 2014
- Roll Call, "Republican Will Challenge Peterson in Minnesota," accessed December 5, 2013
- The Hill, "NRCC, promising to 'stay on offense,' targets seven Dems," January 16, 2013
- FairVote "NRCC Targets Foreshadow Power of Partisanship in 2014 Elections," January 18, 2013
- ABC News, "General Election Results 2012-Minnesota," November 7, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed December 11, 2011