Minnesota's 8th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 12, 2014
Minnesota has an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Rick Nolan (D), who was first elected in 2012.
The 8th District covers the northeastern part of Minnesota. It includes Koochiching, Itasca, Hubbard, St. Louis, Cook, Lake, Carlton, Pine, Aitkin, Cass, Crow Wing, Morrison, Kanabec, Benton, Pine and Chisago counties.
The 2012 election race in Minnesota's eighth district was a close race, with challenger Rick Nolan securing election by a 8.9% margin of victory. The district was considered a toss-up with Fairvote indicating that as a result of redistricting, the district had gone from a even balance between Democrats and Republicans to a 2% edge in favor of the Democrats. Rick Nolan was out spent by incumbent Chip Cravaack, who spent $2,385,666 compared to Nolan's $1,194,314. The district was targeted by both the National Republican Congressional Committee's Patriot Program and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's "Red to Blue List."
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
|U.S. House, Minnesota District 8 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Chip Cravaack Incumbent||45.4%||160,520|
|Source: Minnesota Secretary of State, "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
On November 2, 2010, Chip Cravaack won election to the United States House of Representatives. He defeated James L. Oberstar (D), Timothy Olson (I), and Richard "George" Burton (C) in the general election.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Minnesota, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Minnesota Redistricting Map "Map" accessed August 30, 2012
- "2011 Redistricting and 2012 Elections in Minnesota," March 2013
- Open Secrets "2012 Race: Minnesota District 08" Accessed March 2013
- NRCC "Patriot Program 2012"
- DCCC, "Red to Blue 2012"
- Minnesota Public Radio "Stewart Mills to run for 8th Dist. seat," accessed July 17, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed December 11, 2011