Difference between revisions of "Minnesota Secretary of State"
(Commerce Commissioner update)
|Line 144:||Line 144:|
Revision as of 08:36, 24 December 2013
|Minnesota Secretary of State|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013-2014 FY Budget:||$5,938,000|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Minnesota Constitution, Article V, Section I the Executive Department|
|Assumed office:||January 2, 2007|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Minnesota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Commerce Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Commission|
- 1 Current officeholder
- 2 Authority
- 3 Qualifications
- 4 Elections
- 5 Electoral history
- 6 Vacancies
- 7 Duties
- 8 Divisions
- 9 State budget
- 10 Compensation
- 11 Historical officeholders
- 12 Recent news
- 13 Contact Information
- 14 See also
- 15 External links
- 16 References
Under Article V, Section I:
The executive department consists of a governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state...
Here is a list of the standard qualifications necessary under Minnesota State Law in order to be considered for the Office of Secretary of State:
- Must be twenty-one (21) years of age
- Must be a qualified elector in the state of Minnesota
- Must be a legal resident of Minnesota thirty (30) days prior to the general election 
The office of Secretary of State is an elected position with elections held every four years. Elections are held in November and officers assume their duties the following January. There are no term limits.
|2006 Race for Secretary of State - Democratic Primary |
|Democratic Party||Mark Ritchie||71.4%|
|Democratic Party||Dick Franson||28.6%|
|2006 Race for Secretary of State - General Election |
|Democratic Party||Mark Ritchie||49.1%|
|Republican Party||Mary Kiffmeyer||44.2%|
|American Independent Party||Joel Spoonheim||3.0%|
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - Democratic Primary |
|Democratic Party||Mark Ritchie||81.8%|
|Democratic Party||Dick Franson||18.2%|
- 2010 Race for Secretary of State - Republican Primary
- Dan Severson ran unopposed in this contest
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - General Election |
|Democratic Party||Mark Ritchie||49.1%|
|Republican Party||Dan Severson||45.6%|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Minnesota Secretary of State has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The secretary is the keeper of the Great Seal of the state of Minnesota. The secretary of state is responsible for preserving documents filed with the state, providing certain business services to the public, maintaining the recording of financing statements under the Uniform Commercial Code and administering Safe at Home, an address confidentiality program assisting Minnesotans who fear for their safety such as victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. Additionally, the secretary serves as the chief elections officer in Minnesota.
The secretary of state serves as a member on the State Executive Council, State Board of Investment, and the Minnesota Historical Society Executive Board.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Minnesota Secretary of State has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Secretary of State's budget for fiscal year 2013-2014 is $5,938,000.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
...The duties and salaries of the executive officers shall be prescribed by law.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Minnesota Secretary of State has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Minnesota + "Secretary of State"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Secretary of State's Capitol Code event kicks off public data project - Coon Rapids ECM Publishers
- Secretary of State Ritchie highlights key dates for 2014 election year - Coon Rapids ECM Publishers
- Minnesota's 2013 business filings are third-highest annual total on record - Coon Rapids ECM Publishers
- Dozens of House Republicans endorse Nguyen for Secretary of State - Politics in Minnesota
- Minn. Senator Says Lawsuit Unrelated To His Duties - CBS Local
- Minnesota news in brief at 7:58 pm CST - Enquirerherald
- Sen. Sean Nienow, R-Cambridge, wife sued in $613000 federal loan default - Minneapolis Star Tribune
- In N. Dakota, derailment strengthens pipeline push - Crookston Daily Times
- Minnesota state Sen. Sean Nienow and his wife are sued for defaulting on ... - Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Eugene Robinson: Lessons of Benghazi - Crookston Daily Times
180 State Office Building
100 Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
Saint Paul, MN 55155-1299
Business Phone: (651) 296-2803
Elections Phone: (651) 215-1440
Toll Free Phone: (800) 627-3529
Fax: (651) 215-0682
- Governor: Mark Dayton (D)
- Lieutenant Governor: Yvonne Prettner Solon (D)
- Attorney General: Lori Swanson (D)
- Auditor of State: Rebecca Otto (D)
- Secretary of State: Mark Ritchie (D)
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State
- Minnesota Secretary of State,"About the office"
- Minnesota Secretary of State,"Duties"
- Minnesota Secretary of State "About" Accessed December 20, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State - Guide for Candidates
- Minnesota Secretary of State - 2006 Primary Election Results
- Minnesota Secretary of State - 2006 General Election Results
- Minnesota Secretary of State - 2010 Secretary of State Primary Election Results
- Minnesota Secretary of State - 2010 General Elections Results
- The Office of the Revisor of Statutes, "Chapter 142--S.F.No. 1589," Section 6, accessed June 28, 2013
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved July 3, 2011