Missouri State Auditor
|Missouri State Auditor|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$8,275,567|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Missouri Constitution, Article IV, Section 13 the Executive Department|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Missouri Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Natural Resources Director • Labor Director • Public Service Commission|
The Missouri State Auditor is a state executive position in the Missouri state government.
The Office of State Auditor acts as Missouri's independent watchdog agency, working to ensure the proper use of public funds and to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Missouri government. This is achieved through auditing of state agencies, boards and commissions, the circuit court system, the counties in Missouri that do not have a county auditor and other political subdivisions upon request.
The current officeholder is Thomas Schweich (R). He was elected in 2010.
Under Article IV, Section 13:
The state auditor shall have the same qualifications as the governor...
A candidate for auditor must be:
- at least thirty years old
- a citizen of the United States for at least fifteen years
- a resident of Missouri for at least ten years
Missouri elects state auditors in off-year elections, when the Presidency is not on the ballot. For Missouri, 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018 are all state auditor election years.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Missouri State Auditor has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Article IV, Section 13 of the state Constitution outlines the following duties of the auditor:
- "Establish appropriate systems of accounting for all public officials of the state, post-audit the accounts of all state agencies and audit the treasury at least once annually."
- "Make all other audits and investigations required by law, and shall make an annual report to the governor and general assembly."
- "Establish appropriate systems of accounting for the political subdivisions of the state, supervise their budgeting systems, and audit their accounts as provided by law."
- "No duty shall be imposed on him by law which is not related to the supervising and auditing of the receipt and expenditure of public funds."
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Missouri State Auditor has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The State Auditor's budget for 2012-2013 was $8,275,567.
Article IV, Section 21 of the state Constitution addresses compensation of executive officials:
Under Article IV, Section 21:
The officers named in this article shall receive for their services salaries fixed by law, which shall not be increased or diminished during their terms.
In 2013, the auditor's salary remained at $107,744.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Missouri State Auditor has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Missouri + State + Auditor
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Jefferson City Office Building
301 West High Street
P.O. Box 869
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
Phone: (573) 751-4213
State Capitol Office
State Capitol, Rm 121
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Phone: (573) 751-4824
- Missouri State Auditor's Office, "Overview," accessed October 1, 2011
- Missouri 96th General Assembly, "House bill No. 2012," Section 12.145, accessed July 5, 2013
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries, accessed January 30, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed June 21, 2011