Missouri State Legislative Term Limits, Amendment 12 (1992)
|Preamble • I • II • III • IV • V • VI • VII • VIII • IX • X • XI • XII • XIII|
Article 8 was amended in 2002, and what it now says is:
- No one shall be elected to serve more than eight years total in any one house of the General Assembly nor more than sixteen years total in both houses of the General Assembly. In applying this section, service in the General Assembly resulting from an election prior to December 3, 1992, or service of less than one year, in the case of a member of the house of representatives, or two years, in the case of a member of the senate, by a person elected after the effective date of this section to complete the term of another person, shall not be counted.
Fifteen state legislatures have term limits. Six of the 15 states with legislative term limits impose those term limits for life. Missouri is one of those six states.
|Amendment 12 (State Legislative Term Limits)|
Official results via: Official Manual State of Missouri ("Blue Book") (p.546)
Text of measure
The question asked on the ballot was:
- Shall Article III of the Constitution of Missouri be amended by adding a new section eight that would prohibit a person from serving more than eight years in either the state House of Representatives or state Senate, or a total of 16 years in both houses, with any service resulting from an election or appointment occurring prior to the effective date of this amendment not counted toward the total number of years a person could serve? There could be indirect cost to state government; there would be no cost to local government.
- 1992 ballot measures
- Missouri 1992 ballot measures
- List of Missouri ballot measures
- Missouri Term Limit Calculations, Amendment 3 (2002)
State of Missouri
Jefferson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor & Industrial Relations | Chairman of Public Service Commission |