Missouri State Senate elections, 2010
- 1 Term limits
- 2 Campaign contributions
- 3 Qualifications
- 4 Current partisan composition
- 5 List of candidates
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
Half of the senate is up for re-election every two years. State senators are term limited to two four-year terms.
Incumbents are running in 7 out of the 17 districts up for re-election. These include districts # 2, 4, 10, 12, 16, 18 and 22. In the remaining 10 districts, every incumbent is ineligible to run because of term limits.
- See also: State legislatures with term limits
The Missouri State Senate has been a term-limited state senate since Missouri voters approved Amendment 13 in 1992. Amendment 13 created Section 8 of Article III of the Missouri Constitution, limiting state senators to 2 4-year terms. This is a lifetime limit, as is the case in 5 other states with state legislative term limits. Section 8 was later amended by Amendment 3 in 2002 so that it does not apply to partial terms.
- Carl Vogel
- Charlie Shields
- Dan Clemens
- Delbert Scott
- Gary Nodler
- John Griesheimer
- Matt Bartle
- Norma Champion
This chart shows how many candidates ran for state senate in Missouri in past years and the cumulative amount of campaign contributions in state senate races, including contributions in both primary and general election contests. All figures come from Follow The Money.
|Year||Number of candidates||Total contributions|
- At least 30 years of age
- Qualified Missouri voter for three years before election
- Resident of the district which he is chosen to represent for 1 year before election
- Is not delinquent in the payment of any state income taxes, personal property taxes, real property taxes on the place of residence as stated in the declaration of candidacy
- is not a past or present corporate officer of any fee office that owes any taxes to the state.
- Has not been found guilty of or pled guilty to a felony or misdemeanor under the federal laws of the United States of America.
- Has not been convicted of or found guilty of or pled guilty to a felony under the laws of Missouri.
- In addition to any other penalties provided by law, no person may file for any office in a subsequent election until he or the treasurer of his existing candidate committee has filed all required campaign disclosure reports for all prior elections.
Current partisan composition
- See also: Partisan composition of state senates
|Party||As of December 2013|
List of candidates
| 2010 State senate elections
| AL • AK • AR • AR • CA • CO • CT • DE • FL • GA • HI • ID • IL • IN • IA • KY • ME • MD • MA • MI • MN • MO • MT • NE • NV • NH • NY • NC • ND • OH • OK • OR • PA • RI • SD • TN • TX • UT • VT • WA • WV • WI • WY |
|Parties with candidates|
|Impact of term limits|
|State house elections|
|State senate elections|
|State legislative elections|
- Don Crozier 8,479
- Kevin Parr 101
- No Republican is running for election.
- Bob Ludlow 83
- Brad Lager 16,364 Incumbent Lager has served in the Missouri Senate since 2006.
- Frank Barnitz 5,655 Incumbent Barnitz has served in the Missouri Senate since 2005.
- Dan Brown 18,648
- Wes Shoemyer 13,728 Incumbent Shoemyer has served in the Missouri Senate since 2006.
- Brian Munzlinger 10,850
- Terry Traw 3,936
- Jay Wasson 31,678
- Ryan McKenna 8,937 Incumbent McKenna has served in the Missouri Senate since 2006.
- Greg Zotta 9,447
- John Lamping 9,704
- George Weber 4,096
- Bennie Hatfield 107
- Michael Hoeman 4,904
- Bob Dixon 15,112
- Ronald Richard 21,310
- Martin Rucker 8,804
- Missouri State Senate
- Missouri State Legislature
- State legislative elections, 2010
- Primary election dates in 2010
- List of 2010 candidates for Missouri State Senate
- 2008 list from the Missouri Senate listing when term limits apply to each senator
- Official 2010 primary results
- Project Vote Smart list of candidates for Missouri State Senate in the November 2, 2010 election