Missouri Storm Water Control Finance, Constitutional Amendment 4 (2008)
The Missouri Storm Water Control Finance Amendment, also known as Constitutional Amendment 4, was a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment on the November 4, 2008 ballot in Missouri, where it was approved.
The amendment changed provisions in the Missouri Constitution relating to the financing of storm water control projects.
|Missouri Constitutional Amendment 4 (Storm Water Control Finance)|
Official results via: Missouri Secretary of State - Elections Division
Currently, the Missouri Constitution allows the legislature to issue bonds or other types of debt so that grants and loans may be provided to municipalities and water and sewer districts in certain counties and cities for stormwater control.
This amendment enacted the following provisions:
- Limit funding to only public water and sewer districts.
- Remove the current limitation on the amount of funds that can be made available for these projects.
- Remove the restrictions on the method of disbursing these funds.
- Provide that loan repayment funds shall be deposited into a specific fund to be used for stormwater control projects.
- Have no impact on taxes.
- 94th General Assembly.
- Marc Thornsberry, Springfield Public Works Director
Notable arguments made in support of the measure included:
- It would lead to quicker access to the stormwater funds, allowing faster improvements.
- It would not increase state taxes.
Arguments in Opposition
Notable arguments made in opposition to the measure included:
- It will transfer millions of tax dollars to special interest groups.
- Its language is misleading to voters about where tax dollars are going.
- Passage will support voter disengagement.
- 2008 Voter Guide: Initiative Petitions & Ballot Questions
- Election Results from the Missouri Secretary of State - Elections Division
- Full Text of the measure
- Missouri ballot issues: Amendment 4
- ↑ "2008 Ballot Measures" from the Missouri Secretary of State official web site
- ↑ kspr.com: "Missouri Ballot Issues: Amendment 4," Oct 7, 2008
- ↑ The Kansas City Star: "A Message in plain English," Oct 20, 2008
- ↑ Missouri Family Network: "November 4, 2008 General Election; Five (5) Statewide Ballot Questions," Oct 13, 2008
- ↑ GoneMild.com: "Looking Down Ballot - Missouri Constitutional Amendment #4 - Stormwater Changes," Oct 15, 2008