Difference between revisions of "Missouri Treasurer"
(→Current officeholder: clarify)
|Line 25:||Line 25:|
The current treasurer of Missouri is [[Clint Zweifel]], a [[Democrat]] in 2008 and 2012.
The current treasurer of Missouri is [[Clint Zweifel]], a [[Democrat]]in 2008 and 2012.
Revision as of 13:37, 26 December 2013
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$58,052,472|
|Term limits:||Two terms|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Missouri Constitution, Article IV, Section 12 the Executive Department|
|Assumed office:||January 12, 2009|
|Next election:||November 2016|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other Missouri Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Natural Resources Director • Labor Director • Public Service Commission|
The treasurer is responsible for maintaining the state funds by investing and maintaining the state budget. The department is divided into separate divisions, unclaimed property, savings programs and investments. The treasurer's office is the agency that give state money to local governments and invests state moneys as needed.
The treasurer is elected every four years.
Under Article IV, Section 15:
The state treasurer shall be custodian of all state funds and funds received from the United States government...
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the Missouri Treasurer has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Missouri elects treasurers in the Presidential elections, that is, in leap years. For Missouri, 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 are all treasurer election years.
- 2012 General Election for Missouri Treasurer
|Missouri Treasurer General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Clint Zweifel Incumbent||50.4%||1,332,876|
|Election Results via Missouri Secretary of State.|
The treasurer is limited to two terms, but not necessarily consecutive.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Missouri Treasurer has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Article IV, Section 15 of the state Constitution outlines the following duties of the treasurer:
- Custodian of all state and federal funds
- "Deposit all moneys in the state treasury in banking institutions selected by him and approved by the governor and state auditor, and he shall hold them for the benefit of the respective funds to which they belong and disburse them as provided by law."
- Determine by the exercise of his best judgment the amount of moneys in his custody that are not needed for current expenses and shall place all such moneys on time deposit, bearing interest, in banking institutions in this state"
- Enter into repurchase agreements
- Invest in banker's acceptances
- "Prepare, maintain and adhere to a written investment policy"
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Missouri Treasurer has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Attorney General's budget for 2012-2013 was $58,052,472.
Article IV, Section 21 of the state Constitution addresses compensation of executive officials:
Under Article IV, Section 21:
The officers named in this article shall receive for their services salaries fixed by law, which shall not be increased or diminished during their terms.
Since 1820, Missouri has had 45 state treasurers. Of those 45, 36 have been Democrats and 9 have been Republicans.
|#||Name||Took office||Left office||Party|
|1||John Peter Didier||1820||1821||Democratic|
|6||Peter Garland Glover||1843||1851||Democratic|
|7||Alfred William Morrison||1851||1861||Democratic|
|8||George Caleb Bingham||1862||1865||Democratic|
|10||William Quintilis Dallmeyer||1869||1871||Republican|
|12||Harvey Wallis Salmon||1873||1875||Democratic|
|13||Joseph Wayne Mercer||1875||1877||Democratic|
|15||Phillip Edward Chappel||1881||1885||Democratic|
|16||James Monroe Seibert||1885||1889||Democratic|
|17||Edward T. Noland||1889||1890||Democratic|
|18||Lon Vest Stephens||1890||1897||Democratic|
|19||Frank Littleton Pitts||1897||1901||Democratic|
|20||Robert Prewitt Williams||1901||1905||Democratic|
|21||Jacob Friedrich Gmelich||1905||1909||Republican|
|23||Edwin P. Deal||1913||1917||Democratic|
|24||George H. Middlekamp||1917||1921||Democratic|
|25||Lorenzo Dow Thompson||1921||1925||Republican|
|26||C. Eugene Stephens||1925||1929||Republican|
|28||Richard R. Nacy||1933||1937||Democratic|
|29||Robert William Winn||1937||1941||Democratic|
|31||Robert William Winn||1945||1948||Democratic|
|32||Richard R. Nacy||1948||1949||Democratic|
|33||Mount Etna Morris||1949||1953||Democratic|
|34||George Hubert Bates||1953||1957||Democratic|
|35||Mount Etna Morris||1957||1961||Democratic|
|37||Mount Etna Morris||1965||1969||Democratic|
|38||William Edmond Robinson||1969||1973||Democratic|
|39||James I. Spainhower||1973||1981||Democratic|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Missouri + State + Treasurer
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Missouri State Treasurer's Office
P.O. Box 210
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Phone: (573) 751-8533
Fax: (573) 751-0343
- Governor: Jay Nixon (D)
- Lieutenant Governor: Peter D. Kinder (R)
- Attorney General: Chris Koster (D)
- Auditor of State: Thomas Schweich (R)
- Secretary of State: Jason Kander (D)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Richard Fordyce
- Treasurer of State: Clint Zweifel (D)
- Missouri Secretary of State, "November 6, 2012 General Election Results," Accessed November 7, 2012
- Missouri 96th General Assembly, "House bill No. 2012," Sections 12.150-12.190, accessed July 5, 2013
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 21, 2011
- Missouri Secretary of State, "Missouri History – State Treasurers," accessed December 31, 2011