|U.S. Senate, Massachusetts|
|Predecessor||John Kerry (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||June 25, 2013|
|Appointed||January 30, 2013|
|Appointed by||Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick|
William "Mo" Cowan is a Democratic member of the U.S. Senate from the state of Massachusetts. He was appointed on January 30, 2013 to serve as interim Senator of Massachusetts, filling the seat left vacant by John Kerry. Kerry was confirmed January 29, 2013 as the Secretary of State.
Prior to his appointment he served as Gov. Deval Patrick's Chief of Staff from 2011 until the fall of 2012. Before this he served as the Patrick's chief legal counsel. Prior to joining Patrick's administration, he was a partner at Mintz Levin law firm in Boston.
- Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee
- Subcommittee on Livestock, Dairy, Poultry, Marketing and Agriculture Security
- Subcommittee on Nutrition, Specialty Crops, Food and Agricultural Research
- Subcommittee on Jobs, Rural Economic Growth and Energy Innovation
- United States Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation
- Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Subcommittee on Science and Space
- Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Insurance
- Subcommittee on Competitiveness, Innovation, and Export Promotion
- Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet
- Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Cowan missed 0 of 84 roll call votes from Feb 2013 to Apr 2013, which is 0.0% of votes during that period. This is better than the median of 1.7% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving.
Voting with Party
Mo Cowan voted with the Democratic Party 95.0% of the time, which ranked 27 among the 52 Senate Democratic members as of June 2013.
He and his wife have two sons. They live in Stoughton, Massachusetts.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Mo + Cowan + Massachusetts + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Yahoo news "Mo Cowan appointed interim U.S. senator for Massachusetts"
- Slate.com "For the First Time Ever, We'll Have Two Black Senators Serving at the Same Time," January 30, 2013
- The Boston Globe, "William ‘Mo’ Cowan to be interim US senator," January 30, 2013
- Masslive.com "Massachusetts interim U.S. Sen. William 'Mo' Cowan delivers farewell address" Accessed June 27, 2013
- Washington Post "Who is Mo Cowan?" January 30, 2013
- GovTrack, "William Cowan" Accessed April 2013
- OpenCongress, "Voting With Party," accessed July 2014
|U.S. Senate - Massachusetts
| Succeeded by|