Mobile County Public Schools, Alabama
|Transparency grading process|
Last rated on November 13, 2012.
- Budget documents and are posted for 7 years.
- The current audit is posted, along with 10 years of archived audits.
- Revenue sources are listed in budget documents.
- Elected Officials
- Board members are listed with names, telephone, email, and mailing addresses.
- Administrative officials
- Names of key staff members along with telephone and email contact details are posted on individual department webpages.
- Academic performance
- Academic performance reports are posted.
- Background checks
- Background check processes and policies are posted.
- Employee salary schedules are posted.
- Tax rates are not posted.
- Meeting minutes are not posted.
- Public records
- The public information officer is not identified. Sunshine Review requires a mailing address, phone number and personalized email be listed with this position.
- If the county engaged in lobbying actives or if it's a member of government lobbying associations are not disclosed. Nor is the total cost of lobbying activities or membership dues for associations available.
Below are the school district board members:
|School board member|
|Judy P Stout|
|Reginald A. Crenshaw|
|Rev. Levon C Manzie|
|William S Meredith|
The current district superintendent is Roy D. Nichols.
Current Board of Education members include:
|Governor Bob Riley, President|
|Joseph B. Morton, State Superintendent of Education, Secretary and Executive Officer|
|Randy McKinney, Vice President||District 1||2nd||2013|
|Betty Peters||District 2||1st||2011|
|Stephanie Bell||District 3||2nd||2013|
|Dr Ethel H Hall, Vice President Emerita||District 4||2nd||2011|
|Ella B. Bell||District 5||2nd||2013|
|David F. Byers, Jr.||District 6||2nd||2011|
|Gary B. Warren||District 7||2013|
|Dr Mary Jane Caylor, President Pro Tem||District 8||2011|
The Mobile County School District 2010 expenditures budget totaled $604,624,408.30, including $320,979,803.00 in state revenue, $120,135,887.47 in federal revenue, $154,380,100.25 in local revenue and $2,002,782.00 in other revenue.
The Alabama Department of Education's Student Assessment Program tests students K – 12 in core content areas of reading, mathematics, language, and science, including specialist populations such as special education students and limited English proficient students. 
The Alabama Accountability Program sets Annual Measurable Objectives for schools and school systems. To achieve Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) toward system goals, schools must score at or above the set objectives and have at least a 95% participation rate amongst students. Students are tested in reading and mathematics. A school that misses AYP in the same area for two consecutive years is identified as In Improvement.
AYP results for the State of Alabama and Mobile County Schools are noted below. Results for individual schools within each district can be accessed through the Accountability Reporting Query System on the Alabama State Department of Education website.
State of Alabama Reading Scores 2009-2010 - Percent of Students in Each Achievement Level
|Grade||Level I||Level II||Level III||Level IV|
State of Alabama Math Scores 2009-2010 - Percent of Students in Each Achievement Level
|Grade||Level I||Level II||Level III||Level IV|
Level I - Does Not Meet Academic Content Standards.
Level II - Partially Meets Academic Content Standards.
Level III - Meets Academic Content Standards.
Level IV - Exceeds Academic Content Standards.
State of Alabama AYP Results 2009-2010
|State of Alabama|
The Alabama Education Association (Sunshine Review) (AEA) is the teachers union for the State of Alabama. The AEA is affiliated with the National Education Association (Sunshine Review) (NEA).
- Mobile County Public Schools, Financial Reporting, Accessed: November 13, 2012
- Jefferson County School District, Mobile County Public Schools, Accessed: November 8, 2012
- Mobile County Public Schools, Scheduled Meetings, Accessed: November 13, 2012
- Mobile County Public Schools, Meeting Agendas, Accessed: November 13, 2012
- Mobile County Public Schools, Meeting Videos, Accessed: November 13, 2012
- Mobile County Public Schools, Accountability Reporting, Accessed: November 13, 2012
- Mobile County Public Schools, Background Checks, Accessed: November 13, 2012
- Mobile County Public Schools, Salary Schedule, Accessed: November 13, 2012
- ‘Alabama State Department of Education’, State Board of Education, September 1, 2010
- ‘Alabama State Department of Education’, Assessment and Accountability, September 1, 2010
- ‘Alabama State Department of Education’, Accountability Overview, September 2, 2010
- Alabama Department of Education, "Accountability Reporting," retrieved September 7, 2010
- ‘Alabama State Department of Education’, Accountability Reporting Query System, September 7, 2010
- 'Alabama Education Association', September 2, 2010
- 'National Education Association', September 2, 2010