Mounds View Public Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Mounds View Public Schools
Ramsey County, Minnesota ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Minnesota
Three seats on the Mounds View school board were up for general election on November 5, 2013. Incumbents Jon Tynjala, Greg Madsen and Marre Jo Sager defeated challenger John Hakes to keep the three at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Mounds View Public Schools, Minnesota
Ramsey County underperformed in comparison to the rest of Minnesota in terms of its median rates of average household income and poverty rate but outperformed the state in terms of higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Ramsey County was $52,713 compared to $58,476 for the state of Minnesota. The poverty rate in Ramsey County was 16.4% compared to 11.0% for the entire state. The United States Census Bureau also found that 38.8% of Ramsey County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 31.8% in Minnesota.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Mounds View school board consists of seven members elected to four-year terms at-large by the district as a whole. There was no primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats were on the ballot in 2013.
Candidates began filing affidavits of candidacy on July 30. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the 2013 general election was August 13.
|Mounds View Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Greg Madsen Incumbent||29.1%||6,339|
|Nonpartisan||Marre Jo Sager Incumbent||27.7%||6,037|
|Nonpartisan||Jon Tynjala Incumbent||24.1%||5,251|
|Source: Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for Selected Contests in School District No. 621 - Mounds View," accessed December 18, 2013|
No endorsements were made in this election.
John Hakes was the only candidate who filed a campaign finance report in 2013. He received a total of $1,266.00 and spent a total of $1,266.00 during the election, according to the Ramsey County Election Office. Jon Tynjala, Greg Madsen and Marre Jo Sager were not required to submit campaign finance reports since each of them raised and spent less than $750 in 2013.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
|Marre Jo Sager||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
There were three seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Board Chair Jon Tynjala and fellow incumbents Greg Madsen and Marre Jo Sager sought re-election. They faced only one newcomer, John Hakes, for the three seats.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Mounds View Public Schools election in 2013:
|July 30, 2013||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|August 13, 2013||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election only shared the ballot with other municipal elections and a school district referendum. This referendum, which passed, renewed the district's revenue authorization at the current rate of $1,024.35 per pupil, beginning with the 2015-16 school year and lasting for an eight year span.
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- Mounds View Public Schools, Minnesota
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Ramsey County, Minnesota ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Minnesota
- United States Census Bureau, "Ramsey County, Minnesota," accessed October 14, 2013
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Election Results and Statistics," accessed October 14, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Mounds View Public Schools, "Membership," accessed October 14, 2013
- Ramsey County, Minnesota, "Ramsey County Elections - 2013 Election Calendar," accessed October 14, 2013
- Ramsey County, Minnesota, "Campaign Finance Reports - 2013," accessed December 23, 2013
- Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board, "Political Committee and Political Fund Handbook," accessed December 17, 2013
- Mounds View Public Schools, "School District Question Ballot," accessed October 14, 2013