|Board Member, Lawrence School Committee, District A|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November, 2015|
|Associate's||Northern Essex Community College|
|Bachelor's||Southern New Hampshire University|
Myra Ortiz resides in Lawrence, Massachusetts. Ortiz earned her Associate's degree in Business Management from Northern Essex Community College and her Bachelor's degree in Organizational Management and Leadership from Southern New Hampshire University.
- See also: Lawrence Public Schools elections (2013)
Myra Ortiz won the District A seat unopposed in the general election on November 5, 2013. She started a write-in campaign after no candidates filed for the seat.
|Lawrence Public Schools, District A General Election, 2-year term, 2013|
|Source: City of Lawrence, Massachusetts, "Official Election Results," accessed December 18, 2013|
Myra Ortiz began the race with an existing debt of $300.00. She reported $405.13 in contributions and $305.13 in expenditures to the Lawrence Election Division, which left her campaign with $205.13 in debt.
Myra Ortiz did not receive any official endorsements for her campaign.
What was at stake?
District B, C, E and F incumbents Milquicided Santos, Pavel M. Payano, Patricia Mariano and James R. Blatchford filed for re-election. Homayoun Maali, who ran unsuccessfully for the District E seat in 2011, was the only candidate challenging an incumbent, Patricia Mariano. Mariano won. Two candidates, Angel Garcia and Jeovanny Rodriguez, ran for the District D seat that Francisco Surillo has decided to vacate. Rodriguez won the open seat. No candidates filed for the District A seat until Myra Ortiz announced her write-in campaign, which was successful.
About the district
- See also: Lawrence Public Schools, Massachusetts
Essex County outperformed the rest of Massachusetts in terms of its poverty rate but under performed with regard to median rates of average household income and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Essex County was $65,785 compared to $65,981 for the state of Massachusetts. The poverty rate in Essex County was 10.6% compared to 10.7% for the entire state. The US Census also found that 36.4% of Essex County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 38.7% in Massachusetts.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Myra + Ortiz + Lawrence + Public + School"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Facebook, "About," accessed November 7, 2013
- City of Lawrence, Massachusetts, "Campaign Finance Reports Due," accessed December 23, 2013
- Keith Eddings, The Eagle-Tribune, "The field is set: Lantigua will face 5 challengers in primary," August 8, 2013
- Keith Eddings, The Eagle-Tribune, "Ortiz enters Lawrence School Committee race as a write-in candidate," September 13, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Essex County, Massachusetts," accessed August 7, 2013
- Massachusetts Secretary of State, “Enrollment Breakdown as of 2/15/2012,” accessed August 7, 2013