Napa County Angwin General Plan Amendment Initiative, Measure U (November 2012)
Measure U, if approved, will redesignate certain lands in Angwin from urban residential to "agricultural, watershed and open space (AWOS) or public institutional". It will permit modernization and expansion of a sewage treatment plant on Howell Mountain Road and it will prohibit further subdivision of "public institutional lands" anywhere in the county.
Specifically, according to an analysis of Measure U prepared by the Napa County Council, Measure U will amend the Napa County General Plan to:
- Re-designate certain lands in Angwin from Urban Residential to Agriculture, Watershed and Open Space (“AWOS”) or Public-Institutional (“PI”).
- Permit modernization and expansion of the existing sewage treatment facility located on one of the subject parcels west of Howell Mountain Road despite the AWOS designation.
- Prohibit further subdivision of parcels designated as PI lands throughout unincorporated Napa County.
- Re-designate approximately 16 acres south of the Angwin shopping center and 8.6 acres south of the ball fields from the UR land use designation to AWOS, and approximately 25.8 acres at the north end of Pacific Union College to PI.
- Those parcels would "no longer be available for development of a full range of urban housing opportunities including multifamily housing, limited commercial, institutional, educational or cultural uses but would instead be designated primarily for agricultural uses and any existing vested uses."
- "For AWOS parcels, the General Plan currently allows one single family home and a second unit per parcel, along with agricultural uses. Recreational and religious uses could be allowed with a use permit following environmental review."
- Measure U would allow continuation "of any vested uses in addition to any permitted uses on AWOS lands".