Difference between revisions of "Napoleon Harris"
|Line 75:||Line 75:|
|votes3 = 10172
|votes3 = 10172
Revision as of 10:41, 25 January 2013
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois State Senate District 15|
|High school||Thorton Township High School (1997)|
|Profession||Owner/Operator of two Beggars Pizza stores|
Harris is currently seeking election to Illinois' 2nd congressional district in the special election to fill Jesse Jackson Jr.'s vacant seat. He was one of five Democratic candidate to file by the first in line deadline and will appear third on the Democratic primary ballot as a result of the lottery.
Harris is a former NFL linebacker. He played from 2002-2009 and started in Superbowl XXXVII. He currently owns and operates two Beggars Pizza locations in Harvey.
Harris' campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Currently, 77% of education funding comes from local sources—mainly property taxes. Because of our over-reliance on property taxes affluent communities can provide quality education but most poor communities cannot."
- Job Creation & Economic Development
- Excerpt: "Illinois Main Street is an economic development program that revitalizes historic and business districts. There are nearly 80 of these programs across the state but only one in the Southland. "
- Crime Prevention
- Excerpt: "Law enforcement alone cannot prevent crime, and officials depend on residents to be the eyes and ears of the neighborhood."
Harris is seeking election to the U.S. House in Illinois' 2nd congressional district special election in 2013. The election is being held to replace Jesse Jackson, Jr..
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Harris won election in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 15. Harris defeated Joseph Letke, Jr., Donna Miller and Patricia Mahon in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012 and was unopposed in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012. Incumbent James Meeks (D) did not for re-election.
|Illinois State Senate, District 15, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Napoleon Harris Incumbent||100%||73,762|
|Illinois State Senate, District 15 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Illinois' 3rd Congressional District, Democratic primary|
|Poll||Debbie Halvorson||Toi Hutchinson||Robin Kelly||Napoleon Harris||Mel Reynolds||Anthony Beale||Other||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|Normington-Petts (January 8-10)||16%||12%||8%||7%||7%||5%||5%||40%||+/-4.9||400|
|GBA Strategies (January 3-7)||25%||16%||15%||9%||8%||10%||2%||15%||+/-4.4||500|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org|
Harris lives with his wife Nicole and son in Flossmoor. They attend Reeds Temple Church of God in Christ and Valley Kingdom Ministries International.
- Social media:
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Campaign contributions at Follow The Money
- Appearances at the Internet Movie Database
- Chicago Tribune, "Candidates start filing for Jackson Jr.'s old seat in Congress," January 3, 2013
- Chicago Tribune, "Kelly wins lottery for top spot on ballot to replace Jackson Jr.," January 8, 2013
- Elect Napoleon Harris, "About," accessed January 3, 2011
- Campaign website, Issues
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed December 31, 2012