|Illinois State Senate District 15|
|2013 - Present|
|January 14, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Thorton Township High School (1997)|
|Profession||Owner/Operator of two Beggars Pizza stores|
Harris' professional experience includes playing as a linebacker in the NFL from 2002 to 2009, and owning and operating two Beggars Pizza stores.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Harris served on the following committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Appropriations II|
|• Committee of the Whole|
|• Human Services|
|• Labor and Commerce|
|• Public Health|
Harris' campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Currently, 77% of education funding comes from local sources—mainly property taxes. Because of our over-reliance on property taxes affluent communities can provide quality education but most poor communities cannot."
- Job Creation & Economic Development
- Excerpt: "Illinois Main Street is an economic development program that revitalizes historic and business districts. There are nearly 80 of these programs across the state but only one in the Southland. "
- Crime Prevention
- Excerpt: "Law enforcement alone cannot prevent crime, and officials depend on residents to be the eyes and ears of the neighborhood."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Illinois State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on March 18, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 2, 2013. Incumbent Napoleon Harris was set to face Victor Jonathan in the Democratic primary, but Jonathan withdrew from the race on December 30, 2013, leaving Harris unopposed. Harris was unchallenged in the general election.
Harris sought election to the U.S. House in Illinois' 2nd Congressional District special election in 2013. The election was held to replace Jesse Jackson, Jr..
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Harris won election in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 15. Harris defeated Joseph Letke, Jr., Donna Miller and Patricia Mahon in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012 and was unopposed in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012. Incumbent James Meeks (D) did not for re-election.
|Illinois State Senate, District 15, General Election, 2012|
|Illinois State Senate, District 15 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Harris is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Harris raised a total of $327,986 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 16, 2013.
|Napoleon Harris's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Illinois State Senate, District 15||$327,986|
|Grand Total Raised||$327,986|
2012Harris won election to the Illinois State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Harris raised a total of $327,986.
|Illinois State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Napoleon Harris's campaign in 2012|
|Harris Sr, Napoleon||$227,500|
|Illinois Education Association||$10,000|
|Chicago Teachers Union||$5,000|
|Mg Adams Management Llc||$4,000|
|Service Employees Local 73||$3,200|
|Total Raised in 2012||$327,986|
|Source:Follow the Money|
|Illinois' 3rd Congressional District, Democratic primary|
|Poll||Debbie Halvorson||Toi Hutchinson||Robin Kelly||Napoleon Harris||Mel Reynolds||Anthony Beale||Other||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|Normington-Petts (January 8-10)||16%||12%||8%||7%||7%||5%||5%||40%||+/-4.9||400|
|GBA Strategies (January 3-7)||25%||16%||15%||9%||8%||10%||2%||15%||+/-4.4||500|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to email@example.com|
Harris and his wife, Nicole, have one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Napoleon + Harris + Illinois + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Social media:
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Appearances at the Internet Movie Database
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Elect Napoleon Harris, "About," accessed January 3, 2011
- Campaign website, Issues
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Illinois Board of Elections, "General Primary Election Official Canvass," April 18, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed December 31, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Harris, Napoleon," accessed July 16, 2013
James Meeks (D)
|Illinois Senate District 15
| Succeeded by|