Nevada 2008 ballot measures
For information on other citizen initiatives that attempted but failed to make the ballot, see Nevada 2008 citizen initiatives.
- Through 2006, a total of 53 citizen-initiated ballot propositions had appeared on Nevada's ballot since the beginning of the process in 1918. Of those, 33 passed and 20 failed.
- With one initiative on the 2008 ballot, the historical total of Nevada citizen initiatives increased to 54. If a second initiative is successful in its pending litigation, the total could increase to 55.
- In the years 2000-2008, 18 citizen-initiated measures will have appeared on Nevada ballots (not counting veto referenda). This compares to 13 citizen-initiated measures that appeared on the Nevada ballot in the previous decade from 1990-1998.
On the ballot
|LR||Question 1||Voting requirements||Residency requirements for voting in Nevada|
|PISTOL||Eminent domain||Government agencies prohibited from taking land from one private owner to give to another private owner|
|LR||Question 3||Tax exemptions||Laws governing sales and use tax exemptions|
|LR||Question 4||Sales tax and voter approval||Administration, collection, or enforcement on certain aircraft and aircraft components|
Not on ballot
|IndISS||Support Our Schools||Taxes||Hotel room tax increase in the Reno and Las Vegas areas|
|Proposition 13||Taxes||Property tax increases limited to 2% annually|
|Taxpayer Protection Act||Taxes||Require a 2/3rds vote to approve any initiative that generates or increases public revenue|
|Funding Nevada's Priorities||Public finance||Allot increased revenues from certain county and city license fees to public school funding, the state highway fund, and the public safety fund|
|Education Enhancement||Education||Allot increased revenues from county and city license fees to public school funding|
- List of Nevada ballot measures
- Procedures for qualifying an initiative in Nevada
- Laws governing the initiative process in Nevada
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Nevada
- Nevada's 2008 Ballot Questions Guide for voters
- Nevada Secretary of State web site
- Election Information from Secretary of State
- Secretary of State's web page on 2008 Initiatives & Referenda
- Registered Nevada Ballot Access Groups
- Las Vegas Sun: "At last, the money trail leads somewhere," Sept. 25, 2008
- San Jose Mercury News: "Few statewide ballot measures face Nevada voters," Sept. 20, 2008
- Las Vegas Sun: "No yes-no votes this year, but oh the drama," Sept. 12, 2008
State of Nevada
Carson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | State Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Conservation and Natural Resources | Director of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation | Chairman of Public Utilities Commission |