Nevada Commissioner of Insurance
The Commissioner oversees the Division of Insurance whose stated mission is "To protect the rights of Nevada consumers in their experiences with the insurance industry and to ensure the financial solvency of insurers."
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that authorizes the creation of a state executive office. That information for the Nevada Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
In order to serve as Commissioner, one must meet the following qualifications:
- 1. "The Commissioner shall have had at least 2 years’ responsible experience in the field of insurance, including, but not limited to, one or more of the following endeavors: Administration, sales, law, counseling and education."
- 2. "The Commissioner shall not be a stockholder in or directly or indirectly connected with the management or affairs of any insurance company or insurance brokerage or agency."
The Commissioner of Insurance is appointed by the director of the Nevada Department of Business and Industry, who is appointed by the governor.
In the event of a vacancy, the Director of the Department of Business and Industry designates an acting Commissioner.
The insurance division is charged with protecting the rights of the consumer and the public’s interest in dealing with the insurance industry and is responsible for regulating the insurance industry. It sets ethical and financial standards for insurance companies and review rates. The division responds to and assists consumers. It reviews insurance policies to ensure compliance with Nevada insurance laws and regulations. The division licenses insurance companies, insurance agents and producers. It makes sure insurance companies are solvent and have the ability to pay claims. It also makes sure companies follow through on the promises made to consumers through insurance policies. The division also reviews programs operated by self-insured employers for worker’s compensation.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Carson City office:
1818 E. College Pkwy., Suite 103
Carson City, NV 89706
Phone: (775) 687-0700
Fax: (775) 687-0787
Las Vegas office:
2501 East Sahara Ave., Suite 302
Las Vegas, NV 89104
Phone: (702) 486-4009
Fax: (702) 486-4007
- Nevada Division of Insurance, "About Us," accessed October 16, 2011
- Nevada Department of Insurance "Commissioner Kipper" Accessed November 1, 2012
- Nevada Revised Statutes, " Qualifications," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 679B.080 Designation of acting Commissioner; powers and duties of deputies; restrictions on other employment of deputies" accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Division of Insurance "About Us" Accessed December 28, 2012
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 22, 2011