Nevada Public Utilities Commission
The mission of the PUC is to "Supervise and regulate the operation and maintenance of utility services in Nevada."
The Nevada Public Utilities Commission is established under Section 703.020 of the Nevada Revised Statutes.
In order to qualify to serve on the Commission, members must have at least 2 years of experience in one or more of the following fields: Accounting, Business administration, Finance or economics, Administrative law, Professional engineering. Additionally, no more than two members of the commission can be from the same political party or from the same field of experience.
The following additional qualifications also apply:
- 1. "All of the Commissioners shall be persons who are independent of the industries regulated by the Commission and who possess demonstrated competence."
- 2. "No Commissioner may be pecuniarily interested in any public utility in this state or elsewhere."
- 3. "Except as otherwise provided in NRS 284.143, the Commissioners shall give their entire time to the business of the Commission and shall not pursue any other business or vocation or hold any other office of profit."
- 4. "No Commissioner may be a member of any political convention or a member of any committee of any political party."
Per 703.030 of the Nevada Revised Statutes, the governor appoints the three members of the commission to four year terms. The appointees must have at least two years of experiences in either accounting, business administration, finance, economics, administrative law or professional engineering. Additionally, no more than two commissioner may be from the same political party or the same field of experience.
The general duties of the commission as outlined in the Nevada Revised Statutes are to "supervise and regulate the operation and maintenance of public utilities and other persons named and defined in chapters 704, 704A and 708 of NRS pursuant to the provisions of those chapters."
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Carson City Office
1150 East William Street
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone: (775) 684-6101
Fax: (775) 684-6110
Consumer Complaints: (775) 684-6100
Las Vegas Office
9075 West Diablo Drive, Suite 250
Las Vegas, NV 89148
Phone: (702) 486-7210
Fax: (702) 486-7206
Consumer Complaints: (702) 486-2600
- Public Services Commissioner
- Chairman Alaina Burtenshaw
- Commissioners Rebecca Wagner and David Noble
- Public Utilities Commission Nevada, "Homepage," accessed October 16, 2011
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 703.030 Commissioners: Appointment; terms; qualifications," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 703.040 Commissioners: Additional qualifications; restrictions on other employment," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 703.030 Commissioners: Appointment; terms; qualifications," accessed October 16, 2011
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "General Duties," accessed March 16, 2013
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 22, 2011