Nevada Special Tax District Ban Measure (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
- Senate Majority Leader Steven Horsford stated, "This is an issue that should be left to the voters, so I will be supporting the measure."
Path to the ballot
The Senate Committee on Revenue voted unanimously to approve the measure on April 12, 2011. The measure was then placed in front of Nevada State Senate. On May 23, 2011, the state senate voted in favor of the measure, with a tally of 39 to 3. Then on May 24, 2011, the Nevada Assembly voted in favor of the measure as well. This final legislative approval sends the measure to the ballot, since it does not need to be approved in the next legislative session. Only legislatively-referred constitutional amendments need to be voted on in two successive sessions to be sent to the ballot, according to the Nevada Constitution
A lawsuit was filed against a citizen initiative in the state that lead to the Nevada Supreme Court striking that measure from the ballot, and therefore removing this competing measure from the 2012 ballot at the same time.
The citizen initiative that was taken off of the ballot was the sports arena initiative that would have allowed a 20,000-seat sports arena on the Las Vegas Strip. Specifically the initiative would have imposed a 0.9 cent sales tax in a taxing district near the proposed arena. The revenue would have financed bonds to construct the arena. The state supreme court ruling stated that the initiative's petitions were invalid because they didn’t say where the arena would be built.
The following is a timeline of events surrounding the measure:
|Vote||April 12, 2011||The Senate Committee on Revenue voted unanimously to approve the measure.|
|Approval||May 23, 2011||The state senate voted in favor of the measure, with a tally of 39 to 3.|
|Final Approval||May 24, 2011||The Nevada Assembly voted in favor of the measure.|
- Nevada 2012 ballot measures
- 2012 ballot measures
- List of Nevada ballot measures
- Nevada Legislature
- Nevada Harrah's Sports Arena Initiative (2012)
- Las Vegas Sun, "Rival bill would create hurdle for proposed Las Vegas Strip arena," March 29, 2011
- Las Vegas Review-Journal, "Bill countering Caesars' tax proposal advances in Senate," April 13, 2011
- Las Vegas Sun, "Competing bill that would prohibit proposed Strip arena advances," May 23, 2011
- Business Week, "Nevada Assembly passes competing Vegas arena bill," May 24, 2011