Nevada Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Nevada Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Authority:||Nevada Constitution, Article 11, Section 1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||March 29, 2013|
|Other Nevada Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Commissioner • Director of Conservation and Natural Resources • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Commission • Employment, Training and Rehabilitation|
The Superintendent, appointed by the State Board of Education, oversees the Department of Education and implements policy agreed upon by the Board.
The current interim officeholder is Rorie Fitzpatrick. She has served in this position since she was named to replace the vacancy left by James Guthrie's resignation on March 29, 2013 and will remain in office until a permanent replacement can be appointed.
Under Article 11, Section 1:
The legislature shall encourage by all suitable means the promotion of intellectual, literary, scientific, mining, mechanical, agricultural, and moral improvements, and also provide for a superintendent of public instruction...
To be eligible to serve as superintendent of public instruction, a candidate must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment
- Hold a Master's degree in the field of education or school administration
- "Possess the knowledge and ability to carry out the duties required by this title and all other statutes and regulations governing K-12 public education."
The Superintendent of Public Instruction is appointed by the governor from a list of three candidates submitted by the State Board of Education.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Nevada Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Nevada Department of Education's mission is to elevate student performance by ensuring opportunity, facilitating learning, and promoting excellence.
The mission is accomplished by focusing work on a set of key policy levers:
- Standards, data systems and accountability measures
- Human capital
- Responsible competition
- Managerial excellence and resource allocation
There are seven main divisions within the Department of Education:
- Assessment, Program Accountability & Curriculum
- Business and Support Services
- Career and Technical Education
- Information Technology
- Office of Educational Opportunity
- Teacher Licensure
- The Office of Child Nutrition
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Nevada Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Nevada + Superintendent+ of + "Public Instruction"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Superintendent of Public Instruction
Nevada Department of Education
700 East Fifth Street
Carson City, NV 89701
- Las Vegas Sun, "Nevada schools superintendent resigns, gives no reason," March 29, 2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 385.160 Qualifications," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 385.150 Appointment; unclassified service; position within Executive Department," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Department of Education "About" Accessed February 3, 2013
- Nevada Department of Education "Nevada Department of Education Offices" Accessed February 3, 2013
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 22, 2011