New Jersey Public Utilities Board
|New Jersey Public Utilities Board|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Length of term:||6 years|
|Authority:||New Jersey State Statutes, Title 48, Section 2-1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Other New Jersey Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Comptroller• Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Commissioner of Environmental Protection • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Board|
The mission statement of the board is as follows:
"To ensure the provision of safe, adequate and proper utility and regulated service at reasonable rates, while enhancing the quality of life for the citizens of New Jersey and performing these public duties with integrity, responsiveness and efficiency."
The Board of Public Utilities is established by Title 48, Section 2-1 of the New Jersey State Statutes:
The Board of Public Utilities, named pursuant to Reorganization Plan No. 001-1994, effective on July 4, 1994, and allocated in, but not of, the Department of the Treasury pursuant to that plan, is continued and is designated as the Board of Public Utilities or the "board."
In order to serve on the board a citizen must "devote their entire time to the duties of the board and shall not engage in any occupation, profession or other gainful employment."
Per Title 48:2–1 of the New Jersey Statutes the members of the board are appointed to six-year terms by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate. No more than three members may be members of the same political party.
In the event of a vacancy the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate, makes an appointment for the rest of the unexpired term.
The board oversees and regulates utilities, such as natural gas, electricity, water, telecommunications and cable television.
The board is composed of the following divisions:
- Cable TV
- Economic Development & Energy Policy
- Customer Assistance
- Office of the Economist
- Reliability & Security
New Jersey Board of Public Utilities
Two Gateway Center (8th Floor)
Newark, NJ 07102
Email: Online Contact Form
- Public Services Commissioner
- President Lee Solomon
- Commissioners Nicholas Asselta, Joseph L. Fiordaliso, Elizabeth Randall and Jeanne M. Fox
- New Jersey state executive offices
- New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, "About the Board," October 29, 2011
- New Jersey Permanent Statutes Database, "48:2-1 Board of Public Utilities continued; membership; terms," accessed October 29, 2011
- The State of New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, About BPU
- The State of New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, Divisions
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 22, 2011