New Jersey State College Bond Issue, Public Question 1 (2012)
|Public Question 1|
|Constitution:||New Jersey Constitution|
|Referred by:||New Jersey State Legislature|
- See also: 2012 ballot measure election results
The following are official election results:
|New Jersey Public Question 1 (2012)|
Results via: The New Jersey Secretary of State
Text of the measure
The following is ballot language that voters saw on the ballot:
|“||Do you approve the "Building Our Future Bond Act"? This bond act authorizes the state to issue bonds in the aggregate principal of $750 million to provide matching grants to New Jersey's colleges and universities. Money from the grants will be used to build, equip and expand higher education facilities for the purpose of increasing academic capacity.||”|
No formal campaign in favor of the measure was identified by Ballotpedia.
No formal campaign in opposition of the measure was identified by Ballotpedia.
- In a poll released on October 5, 2012, a Rutgers-Eagleton Poll showed that those surveyed favor the measure with 62% approval. The poll was conducted on September 27-30, and had a margin of error of 3.9 percentage points.
|Date of Poll||Pollster||In favor||Opposed||Undecided||Number polled|
|Sept. 27-30, 2012||Rutgers-Eagleton Poll||62%||27%||11%||790|
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the New Jersey Constitution
In New Jersey, the state legislature must approve a proposed amendment by a supermajority vote of 60% but the same amendment can also qualify for the ballot if successive sessions of the New Jersey State Legislature approve it by a simple majority. Four states (Connecticut, Hawaii, New Jersey and Pennsylvania) have an either/or system: a proposed amendment must be passed by simple majority in two separate legislative sessions, or by a supermajority vote of one session.
The measure was passed to the ballot after the state legislature approved it.
- Philly Burbs, "NJ voters may be asked to OK $750M for campuses", June 19, 2012
- New Jersey elections, "Public Questions document", Retrieved September 26, 2012
- Eagleton Poll, "Rutgers-Eagleton Poll September 27-30, 2012", October 5, 2012
- North Jersey, "$750 million bond for NJ college construction will be on November ballot", August 8, 2012