New Jersey State Senate elections, 2013
The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election is April 1, 2013. The deadline for objections to nomination petitions for primary election candidates is April 5, 2013. Independent candidates wishing to run in the general election are required to submit their nomination petitions by June 4, 2013. The deadline for objections to nomination petitions for independent general election candidates is June 10, 2013.
Nomination petitions must contain the signatures of at least 100 voters in the legislative district. Candidates are required to disclose any criminal convictions.
Heading into the November 5 election, the Democratic Party holds the majority in the New Jersey State Senate:
|New Jersey State Senate|
|Party||As of November 4, 2013||After the 2013 Election|
In order to be a candidate to run for the New Jersey State Senate, a candidate must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Reside for no less than four years in the district the candidate plans to represent.
- Be 30 years of age or older.
- Obtain 100 signatures via petition and submit the signatures to the New Jersey Secretary of State.
- Disclose any criminal convictions.
List of candidates
Pending once the filing deadline occurs in 2013.
- New Jersey Department of State, "2013 Primary Election Timeline," Accessed January 14, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "2013 General Election Timeline," Accessed January 14, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "Petition filing instruction sheet," Accessed January 14, 2013
- New Jersey Secretary of State "Partisan Office Candidate Requirements
- New Jersey Secretary of State "Memo to General Assembly and Senate Candidates on Criminal Disclosure", April 8, 2005