Difference between revisions of "New Jersey school districts"
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
'''New Jersey''' is home to
'''New Jersey''' is home to school districts, 2,schools and 1,,K-12 students.<ref name=NJfacts>[http://www.state.nj.us/education/data/fact.htm ''State of New Jersey Department of Education,'' "New Jersey Public Schools Fact Sheet," accessed August 8, 2013]</ref><ref name=NJenroll>[http://www.state.nj.us/education/data/enr/enr13/county2.htm ''State of New Jersey Department of Education,'' "2012-2013 Enrollment," accessed August 8, 2013]</ref>
Revision as of 13:39, 24 March 2014
|K-12 Education in New Jersey|
|State Superintendent: David Hespe|
|Number of students: 1,356,431|
|Number of teachers: 109,719|
|Teacher/pupil ratio: 1:12.4|
|Number of school districts: 700|
|Number of schools: 2,596|
|Graduation rate: 86%|
|Per-pupil spending: $15,968|
|New Jersey Department of Education|
New Jersey school districts
List of school districts in New Jersey
School boards portal
|Education policy project|
|Public education in the United States |
Public education in New Jersey
Glossary of education terms
State school administrators
- Commissioner of Education: Christopher Cerf
- State Board of Education:
- Arcelio Aponte, President
- Ilan Plawker, Vice President
- Mark W. Biedron
- Ronald K. Butcher
- Claire Chamberlain
- Joseph Fisicaro
- Jack Fornaro
- Edithe Fulton
- Robert P. Haney
- Ernest P. Lepore
- Andrew J. Mulvihill
- J. Peter Simon
- Dr. Dorothy S. Strickland
- Caitlin Slate, Student Member
The following table displays the top ten New Jersey school districts by total student enrollment.
|2.) Jersey City|
|5.) Toms River Regional|
|6.) Edison Township|
|8.) Woodbridge Township|
|9.) Camden City|
|10.) Hamilton Township|
The following table displays the ethnic distribution of students in New Jersey.
|Ethnicity||Number of students||Percentage|
|Two or More Races||13,731||1.03%|
School board elections
- See also: New Jersey school board elections, 2014
A total of 19 New Jersey school districts among America's largest school districts by enrollment will hold elections in 2014 for 56 seats. Three board elections were held on April 23, 2014, while 16 districts will hold elections on November 4, 2014.
Here are several quick facts about New Jersey's school board elections in 2014:
- The largest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 is Newark Public Schools with 33,862 K-12 students.
- The smallest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 is Old Bridge Township Public Schools with 9,403 K-12 students.
- West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School District has the most seats on the ballot in 2014 with four seats up for election.
- Brick Township Public Schools and Jackson School District have the fewest seats on the ballot in 2014 with two seats up for election in each district.
The districts listed below served 281,334 K-12 students during the 2010-2011 school year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Click on the district names for more information on the district and its school board elections.
- New Jersey Department of State
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey School Boards Association
- AFT New Jersey
- New Jersey Education Association
- National Center for Education Statistics school district search tool
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Table 2. Number of operating public schools and districts, state enrollment, teacher and pupil/teacher ratio by state: School year 2011–12," accessed March 18, 2014
- ED Data Express, "State Tables Report," accessed March 17, 2014 The site includes this disclaimer: "States converted to an adjusted cohort graduation rate [starting in the 2010-2011 school year], which may or may not be the same as the calculation they used in prior years. Due to the potential differences, caution should be used when comparing graduation rates across states."
- United States Census Bureau, "Public Education Finances: 2011," accessed March 18, 2014
- State of New Jersey Department of Education, "New Jersey Public Schools Fact Sheet," accessed August 8, 2013
- State of New Jersey Department of Education, "2012-2013 Enrollment," accessed August 8, 2013
- State of New Jersey Department of Education, "Chris Cerf," accessed August 8, 2013
- State of New Jersey Department of Education, "New Jersey State Board of Education Members," accessed August 8, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Elementary/Secondary Information System," accessed March 21, 2014
State of New Jersey
|State executive officer||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | President of Public Utilities |
New Jersey Department of Education | New Jersey school districts |