New Mexico down ballot state executive elections, 2014
June 3, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
Treasurer, Auditor, Commissioner of Public Lands, Public Services Commissioner, Education Commissioner
- 1 Treasurer
- 2 Auditor
- 3 Commissioner of Public Lands
- 4 Public Regulation Commission
- 5 Public Education Commission
- 6 See also
- 7 References
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?|
|Treasurer||James B. Lewis
|State Auditor||Hector Balderas
|Commissioner of Public Lands||Ray Powell
|Public Regulation Commission||Ben L. Hall
|Public Regulation Commission||Patrick H. Lyons
|Public Regulation Commission||Theresa Becenti-Aguilar
|Public Education Commission (District 1)||Vacant||N/A|
|Public Education Commission (District 2)||Millie Pogna
|Public Education Commission (District 3)||Carmie Toulouse||Yes|
|Public Education Commission (District 4)||J. Tyson Parker
|Public Education Commission (District 5)||James Conyers||Yes|
|Public Education Commission (District 6)||Gilbert Peralta
|Public Education Commission (District 7)||Eugene Gant
Tim Eichenberg - former Democratic member of the New Mexico Senate representing District 15
Patrick Padilla - former treasurer of Bernalillo County
John Wertheim - Albuquerque lawyer and former Democratic Party Chairman
The treasurer is responsible for providing banking services to the state, they reconcile the state's bank accounts, they pay any outstanding debts or loans held by the state, they invest the state's money in operations and bonds as well as investing in local issues as needed. The main purpose of the office is to manage and invest state monies.
The Auditor's office is responsible for thoroughly examining and auditing the financial affairs of every agency each year through financial and special audits.
Commissioner of Public Lands
The Land Commissioner is responsible for generating and maximizing revenue from state land trusts while concurrently protecting, conserving, and maintaining the lands for use by future generations. The money generated is used to support public education and other beneficiary institutions.
These revenues are generated by the land commissioner by leasing lands for grazing, agriculture, commercial use, oil and gas drilling, mining and other activities.
Public Regulation Commission
The Public Regulation Commission is responsible for regulation of public utilities, transportation companies, transmission and pipeline companies, insurance companies and other public companies.
Public Education Commission
- District 1: Vacant
- District 2: Millie Pogna
- District 4: Vacant
- District 6: Gilbert Peralta
- District 7: Eugene Gant
The Public Education Commission is responsible for advising the New Mexico Secretary of Education.
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- New Mexico Secretary of State, "Candidate Portal, 2014 Primary Election Contest/Candidate List," accessed April 14, 2014
- El Paso Times, Eichenberg enters race for treasurer, June 25, 2013
- New Mexico Politics with Joe Monahan, Dems Cast Wary Eye On State Treasurer Race; R's Await Opportunity, April 16, 2013
- Albuquerque Journal, Democrat John Wertheim running for state treasurer, August 27, 2013
- Albuquerque Journal, "Santa Fe County Assessor Domingo Martinez to seek state auditor post," May 3, 2013
- Watchdog.org, "State senator plans run for NM auditor in 2014, not governor," May 31, 2013
- New Mexico State Land Office, " Agency History," accessed June 11, 2013
State of New Mexico
Santa Fe (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Solutions | Chairman of Public Regulation Commission |