Difference between revisions of "New York's 26th Congressional District elections, 2012"
m (Text replace - 'The primary elections will be held on September 11, 2012.' to 'On January 27, 2012, Judge Gary Sharpe moved the primary date from September 11, 2012 to '''June 26, 2012''' in order to allow for sufficient time to)
|Line 19:||Line 19:|
On May 24, 2011, [[Kathy
On May 24, 2011, [[Kathy ]] won a special election to represent New York's largely conservative 26th Congressional district. She defeated Republican [[Jane Corwin]].<ref>[http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/nyregion/democrat-capture-house-seat-in-special-election.html?_r=2&hp ''New York Times'' "Democrats Capture House Seat in Special Election," Accessed December 26, 2011]</ref>
Revision as of 12:10, 29 January 2012
The 26th congressional district of New York will hold an election for the U.S. House of Representatives on November 6, 2012.
Candidates wishing to run must file by the signature filing deadline June 12, 2012. On January 27, 2012, Judge Gary Sharpe moved the primary date from September 11, 2012 to June 26, 2012 in order to allow for sufficient time to send absentee ballots to military voters.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Kathy Hochul (D), who was first elected to the House in a special election on May 24, 2011.
- Kathy Hochul: Incumbent
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in New York
Following the results of the 2010 Census, New York lost two congressional seats, bringing its total number of representatives down from 29 to 27. A new map has yet to be finalized. According to a report in the Washington Post political blog "The Fix," New York is home one of the top 10 redistricting battles in the nation.
- United States House of Representatives elections in New York, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in New York, 2012
- New York Times "Judge Moves Congressional Primary Date to June," January 27, 2012
- Dorollo Nixon Jr. campaign website "About Dorollo," Accessed January 27, 2012
- Washington Post, "The Fix," "Redistricting battles hit a fever pitch," June 3, 2011
- New York Times "Democrats Capture House Seat in Special Election," Accessed December 26, 2011