For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
New York's 26th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
June 26, 2012
Candidates wishing to run were required to file by the signature filing deadline April 16, 2012. On January 27, 2012, Judge Gary Sharpe moved the primary date from September 11, 2012 to June 26, 2012 in order to allow for sufficient time to send absentee ballots to military voters.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Kathy Hochul (D), who was first elected to the House in a special election on May 24, 2011. Due to redistricting, Hochul is running in the redrawn 27th district, and 27th district incumbent Brian Higgins is running in the new 26th.
New York is one of eight states that have "electoral fusion" -- which allows more than one political party to support a common candidate. This creates a situation where one candidate will appear multiple times on the same ballot, for the same position. Electoral fusion was once widespread across the United States, but is now commonly practiced only in New York.
Opponents of fusion voting argue that the process results in dealmarking to ensure that patronage is rampant. Proponents maintain that fusion voting allows for minor parties to actually make a difference during the election, allowing voters the opportunity to vote for a minority party platform but still affect the general election result.
Candidates appearing in the general election will be listed below with colored dots corresponding to any party they will represent on the ballot.
General election candidates
June 26, 2012 primary results
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in New York
Following the results of the 2010 Census, New York lost two congressional seats, bringing its total number of representatives down from 29 to 27. According to a report in the Washington Post political blog "The Fix," New York was one of the top 10 redistricting battles in the nation.
- United States House of Representatives elections in New York, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in New York, 2012
- New York Times "Judge Moves Congressional Primary Date to June," January 27, 2012
- Electoral fusion ruins elections
- Working Family Party: Fusion voting
- New York Board of Elections "Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," April 18, 2012
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- New York Board of Elections "List of Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," accessed May 30, 2012
- New York Elections Board "2012 Candidate List" accessed October 17, 2012
- Washington Post, "The Fix," "Redistricting battles hit a fever pitch," June 3, 2011
- Sabato Crystal Ball "2012 House Ratings," June 13, 2012
- Buffalo News "GOP’s Madigan steps up to challenge Higgins," April 3, 2012
- New York Times "Democrats Capture House Seat in Special Election," Accessed December 26, 2011