New York's 4th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
June 26, 2012
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: New York has a closed primary system, meaning only registered members of a particular party may vote in that party's primary.
- See also: New York elections, 2012
Incumbent: Heading into the election the incumbent is Carolyn McCarthy (D), who was first elected to the House in 1996.
New York is one of eight states that have "electoral fusion" -- which allows more than one political party to support a common candidate. This creates a situation where one candidate will appear multiple times on the same ballot, for the same position. Electoral fusion was once widespread across the United States, but is now commonly practiced only in New York.
Opponents of fusion voting argue that the process results in dealmarking to ensure that patronage is rampant. Proponents maintain that fusion voting allows for minor parties to actually make a difference during the election, allowing voters the opportunity to vote for a minority party platform but still affect the general election result.
Candidates appearing in the general election will be listed below with colored dots corresponding to any party they will represent on the ballot.
General election candidates
June 26, 2012 primary results
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in New York
Following the results of the 2010 Census, New York lost two congressional seats, bringing its total number of representatives down from 29 to 27. Under the new map, the 4th district has become less favorable toward incumbent Carolyn McCarthy.
According to a report in the Washington Post political blog "The Fix," New York was one of the top 10 redistricting battles in the nation.
On November 2, 2010, Carolyn McCarthy was re-elected to the United States House for an eighth term. She defeated Francis X. Becker, Jr. (R) who also ran on the Conservative Party and Independence Party tickets).
|U.S. House, New York Congressional District 4 General Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Carolyn McCarthy Incumbent||53.6%||94,483|
|Republican||Francis X. Becker, Jr.||46.4%||81,718|
- United States House of Representatives elections in New York, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in New York, 2012
- New York State Board of Elections "Voting Deadline Page," Accessed June 30, 2012
- New York Redistricting Map "Map" Accessed August 31, 2012
- Electoral fusion ruins elections
- Working Family Party: Fusion voting
- Garden City, NY Patch "Frank Scaturro's Starting Early with Fundraising," accessed December 22, 2011
- New York Board of Elections "List of Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," accessed May 30, 2012
- New York Elections "2012 Candidate List"
- Washington Post, "The Fix," "Redistricting battles hit a fever pitch," June 3, 2011
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"