Difference between revisions of "New York's 9th Congressional District elections, 2012"
(→Impact of redistricting)
|Line 8:||Line 8:|
==Impact of redistricting==
==Impact of redistricting==
Revision as of 14:28, 20 June 2012
November 6, 2012
June 26, 2012
Candidates wishing to run were required to file by the signature filing deadline April 16, 2012. On January 27, 2012, Judge Gary Sharpe moved the primary date from September 11, 2012 to June 26, 2012 in order to allow for sufficient time to send absentee ballots to military voters.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Bob Turner (R), who was first elected to the House in 2011. Due to redistricting, Turner is instead running for U.S. Senate Redistricting puts 11th district incumbent Yvette Clarke into the new 9th.
General election candidates
June 26, 2012 primary results
Attorney Sylvia Kinard is challenging incumbent Yvette Clarke in the June 26 Democratic primary. Kinard, who is also a minister, formerly worked as Senior Legislative Attorney for the New York City Council. She says she is focused on addressing local concerns of unemployment and education. Kinard wants to ensure government jobs aren't outsourced, and support small businesses. She also says she would fight to bring more education arts funding to New York.
President Barack Obama has backed Clarke. He said that Clarke worked "to give a voice to the voiceless, whether it was improving educational opportunity for children, expanding access to healthcare for women in need, or helping small businesses expand and add new jobs."
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in New York
Following the results of the 2010 Census, New York lost two congressional seats, bringing its total number of representatives down from 29 to 27. According to a report in the Washington Post political blog "The Fix," New York was one of the top 10 redistricting battles in the nation.
- United States House of Representatives elections in New York, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in New York, 2012
- New York Times "Judge Moves Congressional Primary Date to June," January 27, 2012
- NY Daily News "Breaking: Rep. Bob Turner To Challenge Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand - Source," March 13, 2012
- New York Board of Elections "List of Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," accessed May 30, 2012
- Ditmas Park Patch "Ditmas Park election guide," June 15, 2012
- Prospect Heights Patch "Congresswoman Clarke's Challenger Runs on Platform of Visibility, Inclusiveness," June 15, 2012
- Capital New York "Obama endorses Nydia Velazquez," June 15, 2012
- New York Daily News blog "Nothing Like A Little Support From The Prez To Get People Talking," June 14, 2012
- Washington Post, "The Fix," "Redistricting battles hit a fever pitch," June 3, 2011