Difference between revisions of "New York Commissioner of Agriculture"
|Line 163:||Line 163:|
Revision as of 09:09, 24 December 2013
|New York Commissioner of Agriculture and Markets|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$107,124,000|
|Authority:||New York Constitution, Article V, Section 4|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||April 5, 2011|
|Other New York Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Financial Services Superintendent • Environmental Conservation Commissioner•Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission • Insurance|
The Commissioner oversees the Department of Agriculture and Markets, which is responsible for promoting the agricultural industry, fostering environmental stewardship, and ensuring a safe food supply.
Under Article V, Section 4:
The head of the department of agriculture and markets shall be appointed in a manner to be prescribed by law...
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the New York Commissioner of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the New York Commissioner of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The main duties of the Commissioner include:
- Execute and carry into effect the laws of the state and the rules of the department, relative to agriculture, horticulture, farm, fruit, and dairy products, aquaculture, and the production, processing, transportation, storage, marketing and distributing of food
- Enforce and carry into effect the provisions of the laws of the state relative to weights and measures
- Aid in the promotion and development of the agricultural resources of the state and the improvement of the conditions of rural life
- Investigate the cost of food production and marketing in all its phases
- Investigate the sources of food supply for the state, the production, transportation, storage, marketing and distribution of food sold, offered for sale, stored or held within the state, the cost of transportation to the leading centers of population and of distribution to consumers
- Agricultural Development
- Animal Industry
- Counsel's Office
- Fiscal Management
- Food Laboratory
- Food Safety & Inspection
- Human Resources
- Information Systems
- Kosher Law Enforcement
- Land and Water Resources
- Milk Control and Dairy Services
- Plant Industry
- State Fair
- Weights & Measures Bureau
The budget for the Department of Agriculture and Markets was 107,124,000 for the 2013 fiscal year.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
There have been 26 New York Commissioners of Agriculture since 1884.
|List of Former Officeholders from 1884-Present|
|1||Josiah K. Brown||1884-1893|
|2||Fred C. Schraub||1893-1896|
|3||Charles A. Wieting||1896-1908|
|4||Raymond A. Pearson||1908-1912|
|5||Calvin J. Huson||1912-1915|
|6||Charles S. Wilson||1915-1920|
|7||Dr. Eugene H. Porter||1917-1922|
|8||George E. Hogue||1920-1921|
|9||Berne A. Pyrke||1921-32|
|10||Charles H. Baldwin||1932-1935|
|11||Peter G. TenEyck||1935-1937|
|12||Holton V. Noyes||1937|
|13||C. Chester DuMond||1943-1954|
|15||Don J. Wickham||1959-1972|
|17||John S. Dyson||1975|
|18||J. Roger Barber||1975-1983|
|22||Donald R. Davidsen||1995-1999|
|23||Nathan L. Rudgers||1999-2005|
|24||Patrick H. Brennan||2006-2007|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "New York" + Commissioner + of + "Agriculture and Markets"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
10B Airline Drive
Albany, New York 12235
Phone: 518-457-3880 or 1-800-554-4501
Email: Online Contact Form
- New York Department of Agriculture and Markets, "The Department," accessed October 30, 2011
- New York Department Of Agriculture and Markets, "Darrel J. Aubertine," accessed September 23, 2013
- NY Code, "N.Y. AGM. LAW § 16 : NY Code - Section 16: General powers and duties of department," accessed December 22, 2012
- New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets, "Divisions," accessed August 13, 2013
- New York State, "Enacted Budget Fiscal Plan for Fiscal Year 2013," T-161, accessed June 24, 2013
- New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, "Commissioners," accessed August 13, 2013