The New York Commissioner of Labor
is a state executive position in the New York state government.
The commissioner serves as head of the Department of Labor, whose mission is "to protect workers, assist the unemployed and connect job seekers to jobs."
The current officeholder is Peter Rivera. He was appointed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo in March 2012 and officially took office on June 30, 2012.
The office of the Commissioner of labor is established in the New York Code.
NY Code - Section 10:
| There shall continue to be in the state government a department of labor. The head of the department shall be the commissioner of labor...
The commissioner is appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate. The commissioner hold office until the end of the term of the governor by whom he was appointed.
In the event of a vacancy the governor appoints a replacement to serve until the end of the appointing governor's term.
The Labor Commissioner serves as administrative head of the Department of Labor. The mission of the department is "to protect workers, assist the unemployed and connect job seekers to jobs."
To that end, the department:
- Enforces the State Labor Law for minimum wage, hours of work, child labor, payment of wages and wage supplements, migrant farm labor, and conditions in the garment industry
- Educates immigrant workers about their rights under the law and links them to groups that help them overcome employment barriers
- Administers and enforces the prevailing wage law that applies to public construction projects and service jobs in public buildings
- Protects employers, workers and the public from dangers at work and other health hazards
- Administers the Unemployment Insurance program that gives weekly benefits to workers who are out of work through no fault of their own
- Assists the unemployed to find jobs
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2012, the New York Commissioner of Labor was paid an estimated $127,000 according to the Council of State Governments.
New York State Department of Labor
West Averell Harriman State Office Campus
Albany, NY 12240
Toll Free: 888-469-7365
- ↑ New York Department of Labor, "About us," accessed October 30, 2011
- ↑ New York Governor's Office, "Governor Cuomo Announces Confirmations," June 20, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 FindLaw, "N.Y. LAB. LAW § 10 : NY Code - Section 10: Department of labor; commissioner of labor," accessed December 22, 2012
- ↑ FindLaw, "N.Y. LAB. LAW § 21 : NY Code - Section 21: General powers and duties of commissioner," accessed December 22, 2012
- ↑ New York Department of Labor, " About," accessed December 22, 2012