Difference between revisions of "North Dakota Commissioner of Insurance"
m (Text replace - "," Accessed July 1" to "," accessed July 1")
m (Text replace - "retrieved April" to "accessed April")
|Line 152:||Line 152:|
The Insurance Commissioner's Office consists of seven divisions:<ref>[http://www.nd.gov/ndins/about/divisions-and-programs/ ‘'North Dakota Insurance Department,'' “Divisions and programs,”
The Insurance Commissioner's Office consists of seven divisions:<ref>[http://www.nd.gov/ndins/about/divisions-and-programs/ ‘'North Dakota Insurance Department,'' “Divisions and programs,” April 23, 2011]</ref>
Revision as of 08:40, 14 July 2014
|North Dakota Commissioner of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2013 FY Budget:||$18,401,730|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||North Dakota Constitution, Article V, Section 2|
|Assumed office:||October 2007|
|Next election:||November 8, 2016|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other North Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission • Tax Commissioner|
- 1 Current officeholder
- 2 Authority
- 3 Qualifications
- 4 Vacancies
- 5 Duties
- 6 Elections
- 7 Divisions
- 8 Historical officeholders
- 9 State budget
- 10 Compensation
- 11 Recent news
- 12 Contact information
- 13 See also
- 14 External links
- 15 References
The current officeholder is Adam Hamm. Originally appointed to the position in October 2007, Hamm was elected to a full four-year term in 2008 and re-elected in 2012. His current term expires in 2016.
Article V, Section 2:
|The qualified electors of the state at the times and places of choosing members of the legislative assembly shall choose a governor, lieutenant governor, agriculture commissioner, attorney general, auditor, insurance commissioner, three public service commissioners, secretary of state, superintendent of public instruction, tax commissioner, and treasurer...|
Article V, Section 4 of the North Dakota Constitution establishes the qualifications of office as such:
To be eligible to hold an elective office established by this article, a person must be a qualified elector of this state, must be at least twenty-five years of age on the day of the election, and must have been a resident of this state for the five years preceding election to office.
- a qualified elector of the South Dakota
- at least 25 years old
- a resident of South Dakota for at least 5 years
Details of vacancy appointments are addressed under Article V, Section 8.
If a vacancy occurs in the position of insurance commissioner, the governor has the power to fill the vacancy until a successor is elected.
The Insurance Commissioner is the head of the North Dakota Insurance Department, responsible for regulating the insurance industry within the state. The department enforces relevant laws and regulations, and working to ensure a competitive marketplaces and to protect consumers from fraud. Chapter 26.1 of the North Dakota Century Code outlines the specific duties of the office:
- enforce insurance-related state laws and report any infractions to the office of the attorney general
- register all insurance companies and agents operating within the state
- communicate with insurance commissioners from other states when appropriate
- manage, control, and supervise the state bonding fund
- manage, control, and supervise the state fire and tornado fund and the insurance of public buildings in that fund
- submit a biennial report to the governor and secretary of state
North Dakota elects insurance commissioners to four-year terms during gubernatorial election years. For North Dakota, 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 are all insurance commissioner election years.
To view the electoral history dating back to 2000 for the office of North Dakota Commissioner of Insurance, Click [show] to expand the section.
The Insurance Commissioner's Office consists of seven divisions:
- The Administration Division is "responsible for oversight of the accounting, budget, information-technology needs and general office support for the department. This division also oversees the department's day-to-day business operations, human resources and personnel management."
|Contact Administration Division|
Agent Licensing Division
- The Agent Licensing Division is "assigned all duties necessary to carry out the issuing, renewal and ongoing processing of agent licensing, including license applications, renewals, agent appointments, continuing-education filing reports and course approval for continuing education courses."
|Contact Agent Licensing Division|
Consumer Assistance Division
- The Consumer Assistance Division is made up of Prescription Connection, which helps qualified people receive discount drugs, and the State Health Insurance Counseling Program, which assists senior citizens.
|Contact Consumer Assistance Division|
Examinations and Company Licensing Division
- The Examinations and Company Licensing Division "monitors the financial strength of insurance companies to help assure they have enough money to pay policyholder claims. It performs periodic financial audits of North Dakota based companies to assure they are financially sound and complying with state laws dealing with insurance company financial matters. This division oversees the licensing of approximately 1,400 insurance companies doing business in the state."
|Contact Examinations and Company Licensing Division|
Legal, Fraud, Investigations and Enforcement Division
- The Legal, Fraud, Investigations and Enforcement Division "works with the investigators in the Department to enforce the laws applicable to insurance agents and insurance companies doing business in the state. If the results of the investigation warrant it, the Legal and Enforcement Division is responsible for bringing administrative actions against insurance companies and agents and for handling the appeal of any action."
|Contact Legal, Fraud, Investigations and Enforcement Division|
Product Filing Division
- The Product Filing Division "reviews policy forms to ensure that policy language complies with all the laws of this state, properly reflects the benefits provided by the policy and is not deceptive or misleading."
|Contact Product Filing Division|
Special Funds Division
- The Special Funds Division operates the following funds on behalf of the Insurance Department: State Fire and Tornado Fund, State Bonding Fund, Petroleum Tank Lease Compensation Fund, and the Boiler and Anhydrous Ammonia Facility Inspection Program.
|Contact Special Funds Division|
Since 1889, North Dakota has had 21 insurance commissioners. Of the 21, 17 were Republican, 3 were Democratic-NPL, and 1 was Independent.
Click "show" for former officeholders.
|#||Name||Took office||Left office||Party|
|4||George W. Harrison||1899||1900||Republican|
|6||Ernest C. Cooper||1905||1910||Republican|
|7||Walter C. Taylor||1911||1916||Republican|
|8||Sveinung A. Olsness||1917||1934||Republican|
|10||Oscar E. Erickson||1937||1945||Republican|
|12||Alfred J. Jensen||1951||1962||Republican|
|14||Karsten O. Nygaard||1965||1968||Republican|
|15||Jorris O. Wigen||1969||1976||Republican|
|17||Jorris O. Wigen||1981||1984||Republican|
The budget for the Office of the Insurance Commissioner in Fiscal Year 2011-2013 was $18,401,730.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "North Dakota" + Commissioner + of + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
North Dakota Insurance Department
State Capitol, fifth floor
600 E. Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505-0320
- Email: email@example.com
- Toll free: 1-800-247-0560
- Fax: 701-328-4880
- TTY line (hearing disabled): 1-800-366-6888
- SHIC and Prescription Connection toll free: 1-888-575-6611
- North Dakota Insurance Department
- North Dakota Insurance Department on Twitter
- North Dakota Insurance Department on YouTube
- North Dakota Insurance Department on Flickr
- North Dakota Insurance Department, "About Us," accessed April 23, 2011
- North Dakota Secretary of State Archived Election Results, "Primary Election Results - 1964," accessed March 18, 2014
- North Dakota Century Code, "Chapter 26.1-01: Insurance commissioner," accessed July 13, 2011
- ‘'North Dakota Insurance Department, “Divisions and programs,” accessed April 23, 2011
- North Dakota Insurance Department, "Administration Division," accessed April 23, 2011
- North Dakota Insurance Department, "Licensing Division," accessed April 23, 2011
- North Dakota Insurance Department, "Consumer Assistance Division," accessed April 23, 2011
- North Dakota Insurance Department, "Examinations and Company Licensing Division," accessed April 23, 2011
- North Dakota Insurance Department, "Legal, Fraud, Investigations and Enforcement Division," accessed April 24, 2011
- North Dakota Insurance Department, "Product Filing Division," accessed April 24, 2011
- North Dakota Insurance Department, "Special Funds Division," accessed April 24, 2011
- State of North Dakota, "Legislative Appropriations 2011-2013 Biennium," accessed April 15, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 27, 2014