The North Dakota Farming and Ranching Amendment
was on the 2012 ballot
in North Dakota
as an initiated constitutional amendment
, where it was approved
The measure, sponsored by the North Dakota Farm Bureau, called for a constitutional amendment that would block any law "which abridges the right of farmers and ranchers to employ agricultural technology, modern livestock production and ranching practices."
- See also: 2012 ballot measure election results
| North Dakota Measure 3|
| Yes|| 201,920|| 66.89%|
Officials results obtained from the North Dakota Secretary of State.
Text of measure
The proposed measure adds a new section to Article XI of the North Dakota Constitution. The new section would read as follows:
|| Text of Section 29:
The right of farmers and ranchers to engage in modern farming and ranching practices shall be forever guaranteed in this state. No law shall be enacted which abridges the right of farmers and ranchers to employ agricultural technology, modern livestock production and ranching practices.
The campaign in support of the measure was led by N.D. Feeding Families Committee.
No formal opposition was identified.
Path to the ballot
- See also: North Dakota signature requirements
Supporters were required to collect and submit a minimum of 26,904 valid signatures by August 8, 2012 in order to qualify the proposed measure for the 2012 statewide ballot.
The initiative was officially filed with the state on August 1, 2011. Fifteen days later on August 16 the North Dakota Secretary of State approved the proposed initiative for petition circulation.
On Tuesday, September 4, 2012, Secretary of State Al Jaeger announced that sufficient signatures had been gathered and that the measure was qualified for the ballot.
- ↑ The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead,"UPDATED: Amendment aims to protect North Dakota farmers and ranchers," August 2, 2011
- ↑ Associated Press,"ND amendment would protect farming, advocate says," August 5, 2011
- ↑ Associated Press,"ND official OKs measure to ban limits on farming," August 16, 2011
- ↑ North Dakota Secretary of State,"Timeline for Farming and Ranching Amendment," retrieved August 17, 2011
- ↑ Associated Press,"UPDATE Eight NDSU football players charged with petition fraud," September 4, 2012