North Dakota State Budget Cap Initiative (2008)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The measure would have restricted annual spending increases by the Legislature and local governing boards - including city and county commissions and school boards - to no more than the increase of a federal Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. Sixty percent voter approval would have been required to exceed the spending cap.
Ron Almquist was the chairman of the initiative committee. He stated that the goal of the measure was:
"Basically, it's to slow the growth of government ... and give people a say on how money will be spent. It's the only way we could figure out how to constrain the budget."
- North Dakota 2008 Initiatives
- Campaign finance requirements for North Dakota ballot measures
- North Dakota Initiative and Referendum Law
- North Dakota signature requirements
- Petition drive deadlines in 2008