North Dakota University Nickname Amendment (2014)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The North Dakota University Nickname Amendment did not make the June 2012, November 2012 or the June 2014 ballots in North Dakota as an initiated constitutional amendment. Despite supporters' stated plans to place the measure on the June 2014 ballot, no signatures were submitted by the deadline to do so.
The proposed measure would have allowed for the University of North Dakota to use the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and logo.
In mid-December 2011 supporters announced that they planned to seek a court order to force Ralph Engelstad Arena to allow the circulation of initiative petitions at hockey games. On December 29, 2011 Grand Forks County District Judge Sonja Clapp denied the request, but noted that a hearing would be scheduled in early January to determine if petitioners can move inside the arena for future events.
- In a column featured in the West Fargo Pioneer columnist and former North Dakota Lieutenant Governor Lloyd Omdahl said, "Under the circumstances, the best way out of this mess would be abandonment of the petition drive. We could urge people not to sign the petitions but that would be hopeless because most folks aren’t aware of the damage the petitions will do to UND sports. Even the petitioners don’t seem to realize that. If the petitions are filed and both measures go on the ballot, thousands of dollars will be wasted on the campaigns. Money will be spent on both sides of the issue. Valuable time will be diverted at the University for months to fight passage of these measures. It will be a costly affair."
Path to the ballot
- See also: North Dakota signature requirements
Supporters had until one year after the petition's approval to turn in signatures for the 2014 ballot. Though that was supporters' original plan, no signatures were submitted by the deadline and the petitions have therefore expired.
- WDAZ-TV,"Former Lt. Gov. Omdahl: 'Fighting Sioux' Petition Drives Should Stop," December 27, 2011
- Associated Press,"Petitions to require Univ. of N. Dakota to use Fighting Sioux nickname ready for circulation," December 13, 2011
- The College Hockey Blog,"North Dakota to Discontinue Use of Fighting Sioux Nickname in 2012," December 1, 2011
- Associated Press, "North Dakota: Judge throws out lawsuit over Fighting Sioux nickname," August 7, 2012
- INFORUM,"No vote on Fighting Sioux nickname in 2014," December 13, 2012
- The Republic,"UND Fighting Sioux nickname petitioners plan legal action to access Ralph Engelstad Arena," December 24, 2011
- Grand Forks Herald,"FIGHTING SIOUX NICKNAME: For now, out in the cold," December 29, 2011
- West Fargo Pioneer,"Sioux logo petitions threaten UND sports," December 28, 2011
- WDAY,"Sioux nickname petitions ready to be signed," December 13, 2011
State of North Dakota
List of North Dakota ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Game and Fish | Commissioner of Labor | Public Service Commission |