Ohio's 9th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
March 6, 2012
Candidates wishing to run were required to file by the signature filing deadline of December 7, 2011. The primary elections were held on March 6, 2012.
This ninth is in northern Ohio, and borders the state of Michigan and Lake Erie. On March 30, 2012 the National Journal released a list of the top ten most contorted congressional districts, as a result of redistricting.  The 9th district was included in the list.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Marcy Kaptur (D), though because of redistricting, she will face a primary challenge from Dennis J. Kucinich, who represents Ohio's 10th district. Kaptur has represented the 9th district since 1983.
General election candidates
March 6, 2012 primary results
Impact of Redistricting
- See also Redistricting in Ohio
Following the 2010 Census, Ohio was forced to eliminate two of its 18 congressional seats. Other than Ohio, only New York lost two seats. Although Ohio still saw positive net growth (only Michigan lost population in the past decade), urban areas in the state saw steep population declines. Of Ohio's five largest cities -- Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo and Akron -- only Columbus showed population growth (10.6% since 2000). Of the five, Cleveland suffered the sharpest decline, losing 17.1% its population.
Taken together, these factors required legislators to cut a district from the Cleveland area. However, state lawmakers were bound to preserve (and expand) Marcia Fudge's (D) heavily African American 11th District due to provisions of the Voting Rights Act. From early in the process, outspoken Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich was seen as a likely target for Ohio's Republican-dominated legislature. Ultimately, the Ohio Legislature decided to eliminate Kucinich's 10th District and connect its remnants with an elongated District 9.
The decision set off a major primary battle between Kucinich and 9th District incumbent Marcy Kaptur (D). At first, the new district favored Kucinich, but revisions to the plan have returned a number of Kaptur's old constituents to District 9.
|Changes to Ohio's Ninth Congressional District|
February 4, 2012
On Saturday, February 4, candidates Kaptur, Kucinich, Veysey, and Kraus participated in a debate held at Sandusky's Ebenezer Baptist Church. The debate was hosted by the NAACP. Coverage of the debate can be found here.
February 13, 2012
On Monday, February 13, Democratic candidates Kaptur, Kucinich, and Veysey participated in a debate for Time Warner Cable's Northeast Ohio Network. Coverage of the debate can be found here.
February 20, 2012
On Monday, February 20, Democratic candidates Kaptur, Kucinich, and Veysey participated in a debate hosted by the City Club of Cleveland. Coverage of the debate can be found here. Full audio of the debate can be found here.
February 22, 2012
On Wednesday, Democratic candidates Kaptur, Kucinich, and Veysey participated in a debate hosted by the Coalition for Hispanic/Latino Issues & Progress (CHIP). Full video of the debate can be found here.
February 23, 2012
On Thursday, February 23, the Sandusky Register hosted a debate featuring the District 9 Democratic candidates. Full video of the debate can be found here.
|District 9 Democratic Primary|
|Poll||Marcy Kaptur||Dennis J. Kucinich||Graham Veysey||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|American Public Polling|
February 20 – 27, 2012
|39%||35%||10%||16%||+/- Not published||200|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to|
The following is a selection of audio and video for the District 9 candidates. Some were released by candidates, others by local media.
|U.S. House of Representatives, Ohio Congressional District 9 Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Marcy Kaptur Incumbent||59.4%||121,819|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Ohio, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Ohio, 2012
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections and Voting"
- Ohio Secretary of State, Register To Vote
- Ohio Secretary of State, Find Your Polling Location
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2012 Ohio Voter Information Guide"
- Ohio Secretary of State, Absentee and Early Voting Information
- Ohio Secretary of State, Request an Absentee Ballot
- National Journal "Modern Gerrymanders: 10 Most Contorted Congressional Districts—MAPS" Accessed March 31, 2012
- Fox 8 Cleveland Kucinich seeks re-election in new Ohio district December 6, 2011
- Politico "Congress 2012: The 5 ugliest member vs. member battles" Accessed April 18, 2012
- Fox Toledo "Veysey enters tight 9th district race" Accessed January 16, 2012
- Politico Joe the Plumber running for Congress in Ohio's 9th congressional district December 6, 2011
- Toledo Blade "Auctioneer from Huron to oppose Plumber Accessed January 16, 2012
- Examiner.com, "4 of 5 big Ohio cities, counties lose people, Whites still dominate, Census says," March 10, 2011
- The Hill, "Democratic Reps. Kucinich and Kaptur brace for House survival showdown," December 22, 2011
- Roll Call YouTube channel
- DJKucinich YouTube channel
- Graham Veysey for Congress YouTube channel
- WUPW YouTube channel
- TeamKraus YouTube channel
- SeanStipe YouTube channel
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"