Ohio "Right-to-Work" Amendment (2013)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The measure was sponsored by Ohioans for Workplace Freedom.
- United Auto Workers Local 1714
- Dave Green, President of United Auto Workers Local 1714, argued that right-to-work laws are unfair for the union because non-members get the same benefits as members without having to pay for it. Of the measure, he said, "Clearly we're opposed to it. It creates really an unfair disadvantage for us because you get these free riders in the union. People who pay no dues, but by federal law we still have to represent them."
- See also: Polls, 2012 ballot measures
- On February 14, 2012, a poll was released by Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, showing support for the measure, also known as a "right to work" measure. The margin of error for the poll was 2.6%.
|Date of Poll||Pollster||In favor||Opposed||Undecided||Number polled|
|February 7-12, 2012||Quinnipiac University Polling Institute||54%||40%||6%||1,421|
Path to the ballot
In order for the measure to make the ballot, supporters must have collected 385,247 valid signatures from state registered voters by the July 4, 2011 petition drive deadline.
Supporters began collecting signatures for an attempt at the 2013 ballot. To achieve placement, they were required to turn in 385,247 names to the secretary of state by July 3, 2013. A call to the Secretary of State's office on July 8, 2013 confirmed that no signatures were submitted by the deadline.
- 2013 ballot measures
- Ohio 2013 ballot measures
- List of Ohio ballot measures
- Laws governing the initiative process in Ohio
- Business Week, "Group hits snag in Ohio 'right-to-work' measure", November 22, 2011
- CBS News, "Ohio group's 'right-to-work' measure clears hurdle", February 2, 2012
- Plunderbund.com, "Ohio “Right to Work” backers find funding, begin hiring signature gatherers", March 14, 2012
- Associated Press, "Petitions circulated in Ohio to put right-to-work initiative on November 2013 ballot," December 17, 2012
- Rueters.com, "Ohio voters open to "right-to-work" law: poll", February 14, 2012
- Office was contacted by Ballotpedia on day of deadline.