Ohio Issue 1, the Riverboat Gambling Initiative (1996)

From Ballotpedia
Revision as of 07:17, 7 May 2013 by BaileyL (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
The Ohio Riverboat Casino Gambling Initiative, also known as Issue 1, or as the act To Authorize the Establishment of River Boat Casino Gambling in Ohio, was on the November 5, 1996 election ballot in Ohio. It was defeated, with 38.1% of voters in favor[1].

Election results

Issue 1
ResultVotesPercentage
Defeatedd No2,659,07561.9%
Yes 1,639,955 38.1%

Text of measure

The language that appeared on the ballot:

In order to authorize the establishment of river boat casino gambling in Ohio, this amendment would:

1. Authorize the establishment of permanently moored river boat casino gaming facilities to conduct games and schemes of chance without wagering limits, excluding bingo and dog or horse races, on rivers in the following locations: two in the city of Cincinnati, one in Hamilton County outside of Cincinnati, three in the city of Cleveland, one in the city of Lorain, and one in Mahoning County.

2. River boat casino gaming facilities may be established in designated locations only if this amendment is approved at this election by a majority of electors who vote on the amendment in a county in which the facility would be located.

3. Establish a gaming commission to license and regulate the operation of river boat casino gaming facilities and to license all casino operators and employees, manufacturers and vendors of gaming devices, and other persons.

4. Levy a 20% monthly gaming fee on gross revenues of games or schemes of chance conducted at river boat casino gaming facilities after deduction of total prizes paid to patrons. The fee proceeds shall be distributed as follows: 80% to primary and secondary public schools for educational purposes, 10% to the municipality or township in which the facility is located, and 10% to the county in which the facility is located.

5. Prohibit the levy of any additional taxes or fees relating solely to gaming except an initial application fee to operate a gaming facility.

6. Prohibit any person under the age of twenty-one from participating in authorized gaming as a patron or employee.

If adopted, this amendment will be effective in thirty days.

See also

References

  1. Issue 1, November 5, 1996 "Ohio Secretary of State" November 5, 1996

External links


BallotMeasureFinal badge.png
This state ballot measure article is a stub. You can help people learn by expanding it.