Difference between revisions of "Ohio Superintendent of Public Instruction"
(→See also: ed links)
|Line 114:||Line 114:|
*[[Superintendent of Schools]]
*[[Superintendent of Schools]]
Revision as of 10:44, 3 February 2014
|Ohio Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$10,922,046,458|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Board of Education|
|Authority:||Ohio Constitution, Article VI, Section 4|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by state Board of Education|
|Assumed office:||March 25, 2013|
|Other Ohio Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Richard Ross (Ohio). Ross was appointed by the Ohio Board of Education, effective March 25, 2013. He beat out acting superintendent and fellow finalist for the position Michael Sawyers, who had been serving temporarily while the board, which employs the Superintendent, searched for a permanent replacement for Stan Heffner. Sawyers was the deputy superintendent before Heffner resigned in July 2012 and he was asked to assume the role.
Heffner was appointed on July 12, 2011, after having served as Interim Superintendent since April 2011. On Saturday, August 4, 2012, Heffner tendered his resignation amid revelations that he had committed several ethics violations regarding a job offer he received from the Educational Testing Services. Accusations that he deliberately covered-up a conflict of interest are being investigated by the state inspector general. Heffner's resignation went into effect August 10, 2012.
There shall be a state board of education which shall be selected in such manner and for such terms as shall be provided by law. There shall be a superintendent of public instruction, who shall be appointed by the state board of education. The respective powers and duties of the board and of the superintendent shall be prescribed by law.
Chapter 3301, Section 08 of the Ohio Revised Code outlines the qualifications to hold office:
The state board of education shall appoint the superintendent of public instruction, who shall serve at the pleasure of the board. The board shall fix the compensation for the position of superintendent of public instruction. The superintendent of public instruction, while holding such office, shall not hold any other office or position of employment, or be an officer or employee of any public or private school, or a public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education. The superintendent may, in the conduct of the superintendent’s official duties, travel within or without the state, and the superintendent’s necessary and actual expenses therefore when properly verified shall be paid by the state. No one who is interested financially in any book publishing or book selling company, firm, or corporation, shall be eligible to appointment as superintendent of public instruction. If a superintendent becomes interested financially in any book publishing or book selling company, firm, or corporation, said superintendent shall forthwith be removed from office by the state board. The interest of a person as author of a book shall not be improper, provided such book is not one offered for use by pupils in the public schools of Ohio.
- may not hold any other office or position of employment
- may not be an officer or employee of any public or private school, college, university, or other institution of higher education
- may not have a financial interest in any book publishing or book selling company
The state board of education appoints the superintendent, who serves at the pleasure of the board.
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the state board of education will appoint a successor.
The superintendent of public instruction works with the state board of education to ensure every child in Ohio has access to a quality education. The superintendent serves as the secretary to the board and also its executive and administrative officer. They are responsible for executing the educational policies, orders and administrative functions of the board as well as directing the work of all employees who work in the department of education.
Chapter 3301.12 of the Ohio Revised Code outlines additional duties of the superintendent:
- provide technical and professional assistance to all school districts regarding finance, buildings and equipment, administration, organization of school districts, curriculum and instruction, transportation of pupils, personnel problems, and the interpretation of school laws and state regulations
- prescribe and require the preparation and filing of financial reports from school districts, officers, and employees
- conduct studies and research projects to improve public education in Ohio
- prepare and submit an annual report to the state board of education
- supervise all agencies over which the board exercises administrative control, including schools for education or persons with disabilities
- establish metrics and courses of study for institutions of higher education that prepare educators
- Education Reform and Strategic Initiatives
- Curriculum and Assessment
- School Improvement
- Teaching Profession
- Students, Families and Communities
The budget for the Department of Education in Fiscal Year 2013 was $10,922,046,458.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Ohio Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Ohio + Superintendent + of + Public + Instruction
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Ohio Department of Education
25 South Front Street
Columbus, OH 43215-4183
E-mail: Contact Center
- State Impact - NPR, "Richard Ross named Ohio State Superintendent," March 12, 2013
- Examiner, "Ohio education head Heffner resigns in wake of Inspector General report," August 4, 2012
- ‘’NPR Ohio, “Ohio state superintendent Stan Heffner resigns amid ethics charges, attendance rigging investigation,” August 4, 2012
- Ohio Revised Code, "Chapter 3301.08: Appointment of superintendent of public instruction," Accessed July 25, 2011
- Ohio Revised Code, "Chapter 3301.12: Superintendent of public instruction - additional duties," Accessed July 25, 2011
- Ohio Office of Budget and Management, "FY 2012-2013 - Enacted," accessed April 12, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 27, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved April 23, 2011