Oklahoma Commissioner of Agriculture
The current officeholder is Jim Reese.
Article VI, Section 31:
| A Board of Agriculture is hereby created to be composed of five members all of whom shall be farmers and shall be selected in the manner prescribed by law.
Said Board shall be maintained as a part of the State government, and shall have jurisdiction over all matters affecting animal industry and animal quarantine regulation, and shall be the Board of Regents of all State Agricultural and Mechanical Colleges, and shall discharge such other duties and receive such compensation as now is, or may hereafter be, provided by law.
The qualifications for members of the State Board of Agriculture are outlined in Title 2 of the Oklahoma Statutes:
| The members shall be farmers who have:
a. at least five (5) years practical experience during the ten (10) years immediately preceding their appointment, and
- a farmer
- at least 5 years practical experience during the previous 10 years
- lived on and operated a farm after reaching the age of 21
Under Title 2 of the Oklahoma Statutes, in the event of a vacancy in the office the governor "appoints a new member from the same district for which a vacancy was vacated to serve for the unexpired term."
The powers and duties of the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry are outlined in Title 2 of the Oklahoma Statutes:
- evaluate applications for administrative and technical completeness pursuant to requirements of the Oklahoma Agriculture Code and rules promulgated thereunder and, when necessary to determine the completeness, request changes, revisions, corrections, or supplemental submissions;
- evaluate notices related to applications for sufficiency of content and compliance and require that omissions or inaccuracies be cured;
- consider timely and relevant comments received;
- prepare responses to comments, draft and final denials, and draft, proposed, and final permits;
- cooperate with federal agencies;
- consolidate processes related to multiple, pending applications filed by the same applicant for the same facility or site in accordance with rules of the State Board of Agriculture; and
- otherwise exercise all incidental powers as necessary and proper to implement the provisions of the Oklahoma Agriculture Environmental Permitting Act and promulgate rules.
- Agriculture Environment Management Services
- Animal Industry Services
- Consumer Protection
- Food Safety
- Forestry Services
- General Counsel
- Investigative Services
- Market Development
- Statistics Services
- Wildlife Services
Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry
2800 N. Lincoln Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone: (405) 521-3864
- Oklahoma Statutes, "§2-2-1: Membership - appointment and qualifications - vacancies," retrieved September 28,2011
- Oklahoma Statutes, "§2-2A-24: Powers and duties of Department," retrieved September 28, 2011
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved May 14, 2011