Oklahoma Commissioner of Agriculture
|Oklahoma Commissioner of Agriculture, Food & Forestry|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$45,033,000|
|Length of term:||Term coterminous with that of the Governor|
|Authority:||Article VI, Section 31|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||January 10, 2011|
|Other Oklahoma Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Article VI, Section 31:
| A Board of Agriculture is hereby created to be composed of five members all of whom shall be farmers and shall be selected in the manner prescribed by law.
Said Board shall be maintained as a part of the State government, and shall have jurisdiction over all matters affecting animal industry and animal quarantine regulation, and shall be the Board of Regents of all State Agricultural and Mechanical Colleges, and shall discharge such other duties and receive such compensation as now is, or may hereafter be, provided by law.
The qualifications for members of the State Board of Agriculture are outlined in Title 2 of the Oklahoma Statutes:
| The members shall be farmers who have:
a. at least five (5) years practical experience during the ten (10) years immediately preceding their appointment, and
- a farmer
- at least 5 years practical experience during the previous 10 years
- lived on and operated a farm after reaching the age of 21
Under Title 2 of the Oklahoma Statutes, in the event of a vacancy in the office the governor "appoints a new member from the same district for which a vacancy was vacated to serve for the unexpired term."
The powers and duties of the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry are outlined in Title 2 of the Oklahoma Statutes:
- evaluate applications for administrative and technical completeness pursuant to requirements of the Oklahoma Agriculture Code and rules promulgated thereunder and, when necessary to determine the completeness, request changes, revisions, corrections, or supplemental submissions;
- evaluate notices related to applications for sufficiency of content and compliance and require that omissions or inaccuracies be cured;
- consider timely and relevant comments received;
- prepare responses to comments, draft and final denials, and draft, proposed, and final permits;
- cooperate with federal agencies;
- consolidate processes related to multiple, pending applications filed by the same applicant for the same facility or site in accordance with rules of the State Board of Agriculture; and
- otherwise exercise all incidental powers as necessary and proper to implement the provisions of the Oklahoma Agriculture Environmental Permitting Act and promulgate rules.
- Agriculture Environment Management Services
- Animal Industry Services
- Consumer Protection
- Food Safety
- Forestry Services
- General Counsel
- Investigative Services
- Market Development
- Statistics Services
- Wildlife Services
- See also: Oklahoma state budget and finances
The budget for the Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry in Fiscal Year 2012 was $45,033,000.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Oklahoma Commissioner of Agriculture has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Oklahoma + Commissioner + of + Agriculture
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry
2800 N. Lincoln Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone: (405) 521-3864
- Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, accessed December 21, 2012
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Oklahoma Statutes, "§2-2-1: Membership - appointment and qualifications - vacancies," accessed September 28,2011
- Oklahoma Statutes, "§2-2A-24: Powers and duties of Department," accessed September 28, 2011
- Office of Management and Enterprise Services, "FY-2014 Executive Budget Historical Document," accessed April 11, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 4, 2014
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 28, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed May 14, 2011