Oklahoma Commissioner of Labor
The current officeholder is Mark Costello. He was first elected in 2010 and assumed office on January 10, 2011.
Article VI, Section 1:
| A. The Executive authority of the state shall be vested in a Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Auditor and Inspector, Attorney General, State Treasurer, Superintendent of Public Instruction, Commissioner of Labor, Commissioner of Insurance and other officers provided by law and this Constitution, each of whom shall keep his office and public records, books and papers at the seat of government, and shall perform such duties as may be designated in this Constitution or prescribed by law.
B. The Secretary of State shall be appointed by the Governor by and with the consent of the Senate for a term of four (4) years to run concurrently with the term of the Governor.
The Oklahoma State Auditor is elected every years, in mid-term elections. The position is elected in 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018.
On March 14, 2011, the Oklahoma State Senate approved a bill that would give the governor the power to appoint 7 of the 11 statewide elected officials, including the labor commissioner. The Senate would have to confirm all appointments. Voters will decide whether to approve the measure.
No person may serve as the Oklahoma labor commissioner for more than 8 years, excluding years served for less than a full term to fill a vacancy in the office.
Under Article 6, Section 13 of the state constitution, in the event of a vacancy in the office the governor appoints a person to serve until a successor is either elected or appointed and qualified by law.
The official powers and duties are outlined in Title 40 of the Oklahoma Statutes:
- foster, promote, and develop the welfare of the wage earners of this state
- improve working conditions of the wage earners
- advance opportunities of wage earners for profitable employment; and
- carry into effect all laws in relation to labor enacted by the legislature for which responsibility is assigned to the Commissioner of Labor
- Asbestos Abatement Division
- Child Labor Unit
- Licensing Unit
- PEOSH Unit
- Safety Pays OSHA Consultation Division
- Safety Standards Division
- Statistical Research Unit
- Wage & Hour Unit
- Workers' Compensation Enforcement Unit
Oklahoma Department of Labor
3017 N. Stiles, Suite 100
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone: (405) 521-6100
Toll free: (888) 269-5353
Fax: (405) 521-6018
E-mail: Labor Information