Oklahoma Secretary of State
The current officeholder is Glenn Coffee.
Article VI, Section 1:
| A. The Executive authority of the state shall be vested in a Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Auditor and Inspector, Attorney General, State Treasurer, Superintendent of Public Instruction, Commissioner of Labor, Commissioner of Insurance and other officers provided by law and this Constitution, each of whom shall keep his office and public records, books and papers at the seat of government, and shall perform such duties as may be designated in this Constitution or prescribed by law.
B. The Secretary of State shall be appointed by the Governor by and with the consent of the Senate for a term of four (4) years to run concurrently with the term of the Governor.
Article VI, Section 3 of the Oklahoma Constitution establishes the qualifications of the office:
|No person shall be eligible to the office of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Auditor and Inspector, Attorney General, State Treasurer or Superintendent of Public Instruction except a citizen of the United States of the age of not less than thirty-one (31) years and who shall have been ten (10) years next preceding his or her election, or appointment, a qualified elector of this state..|
- a citizen of the United States.
- at least 31 years old.
- a qualified elector of Oklahoma for the 10 preceding years.
In Oklahoma, the secretary of state is a position that is filled via appointment by the governor with the consent of the state senate. According to Article 6, Section 1 of the Oklahoma Constitution, the secretary serves a term of four years in length concurrent with that of the governor.
Under Article 6, Section 13 of the state constitution, in the event of a vacancy in the office the governor appoints a person to serve until a successor is either elected or appointed and qualified by law.
The secretary of state has a number of duties and responsibilities in several distinct areas:
- Executive functions: The secretary attests to the governor's signature, files all official gubernatorial acts, and certifies all executive orders, appointments, and proclamations.
- Court on Judiciary: The secretary designates five district judges to serve on the Appellate Division of the Court on Judiciary and eight district judges to serve on the Trial Division of the Court on Judiciary.
- Legislative Functions: The secretary maintains a record of all acts of the Oklahoma State Legislature.
- Initiative and Referendum Petitions: Statewide initiative and referendum petitions are filed in the office of secretary of state.
- Office of Administrative Rules:
- Corporate Filing/Records Functions:
- Notaries Public:
- Central Filing System:
- Oaths and Loyalty Oaths:
- Public Meeting Notices:
- Athlete Agent Registration:
- Transmitting Utility and Railroad Mortgages:
- Invention Developer Bonds:
- Surface Damage Bonds:
- Other Duties:
2300 North Lincoln Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone: (405) 521-3911
Fax: (405) 521-3771
- Glenn Coffee, Oklahoma Secretary of State
- Governor of Oklahoma
- Lieutenant Governor of Oklahoma
- Attorney General of Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Constitution