Oklahoma State Question No. 737 (2008)
The Oklahoma Civil Rights Initiative is proposed as an amendment to the Oklahoma Constitution.
Similar measures are being sponsored by the American Civil Rights Initiative in several other states for the 2008 ballot, including Colorado, Missouri, Arizona and Nebraska. The combined effort is known as Super Tuesday for Equal Rights.
Ballot Qualification Requirements
Organized petition blocking campaign
In early October, an organized petition blocking campaign to prevent circulators from successfully collecting signatures was initiated. The "Decline to Sign Coalition" is led by Oklahoma City representative Mike Shelton. Shelton has also proposed legislation in the Oklahoma legislature that would make it illegal to pay circulators on a per-signature basis. Proponents of the ballot measure argue that the "Decline to Sign" movement is similar to the ultimately unsuccessful efforts in Michigan in 2006 to prevent the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative from reaching the ballot.
On November 14, an incident of an individual working the prevent the collection of signatures on the Oklahoma Civil Rights initiative was captured and posted on YouTube.
Language of the Initiative
The proposed ballot wording is "The state shall not discriminate against or grant preferential treatment to any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education or public contracting."
- Missouri Civil Rights Initiative (2008)
- Arizona Civil Rights Initiative (2008)
- Colorado Civil Rights Initiative (2008)
- Nebraska Civil Rights Initiative (2008)
Affirmative action targeted NewsOK.com, September 27, 2007.
4 States Are New Targets for Bans on Affirmative-Action Preferences The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 23, 2007.
A Leg Up for Minorities on Campus Christian Science Monitor, May 11, 2007.
- Oklahoma Civil Rights Initiative Official website of the Oklahoma Initiative (under construction).
- American Civil Rights Initiative Website of national organization supporting the Oklahoma initiative.
- Race Blind A blog about all four "Super Tuesday" civil rights initiatives.
- Adversity.Net Oklahoma-specific.
- Super Tuesday 2008 Website promoting ballot initiatives supported by Ward Connerly in multiple states in 2008.
- [http://www.okpns.com/2007/12/how-long-will-it-be-before-they-go-to.html How long will it be before they go to jail, Drew?}
- Signature gathering underway for civil rights initiative Oklahoma Insider, October 10, 2007
- Group urges voters not to sign what they call misleading petition
- politicos trying to kill the Oklahoma ballot initiative process?
- Decline to Sign: Same Playbook
- YouTube video of Opposition member harassing and intimidating a Civil Rights Initiative circulator
- Affirmative action foes file, Tulsa World, Dec. 11, 2007