|U.S. Senate, Maine|
|January 3, 1995-Present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||18|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 7, 2006|
|First elected||November 8, 1994|
|Next election||November 6, 2012|
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|High school||Edward Little High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Maine|
|Birthday||September 8, 1941|
|Place of birth||Augusta, ME|
Snowe will not be seeking re-election in 2012. Snowe pointed to the increasingly partisan divide in Congress, stating she was tired of "'my way or the highway' ideologies." There are six other candidates running in the June 12, 2012 primary.
Snowe was born in 1947 in Augusta, Maine. After graduating from Edward Little High School in 1965, Snowe went on to earn her B.A. at the University of Maine in 1969. Prior to her political career, Snowe worked as a businesswoman.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Snowe's political career:
- Maine State House of Representatives, 1973-1976
- Maine State Senate, 1976-1978
- U.S. House of Representatives, 1979-1995
- U.S. Senate, 1995-Present
Snowe serves on the following Senate committees:
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee Ranking Member
- Select Committee on Intelligence
- Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee
- Finance Committee
Snowe did not seek re-election in 2012. Angus King (I) defeated Cynthia Dill (D), Charles Summers (R), Andrew Ian Dodge (L), Danny Francis Dalton (I), and Stephen Woods (I) in the November 6, 2012, general election.
Snowe won re-election to the U.S. Senate in 2006. During that re-election cycle, Snowe's campaign committee raised a total of $3,788,139 and spent $3,157,047.
|U.S. Senate, Maine, 2006 - Olympia Snowe Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$2,072,027|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$2,005,358|
|Top contributors to Olympia Snowe's campaign committee|
|New York Life Insurance||$28,200|
|Applied Thermal Sciences Inc||$24,100|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$156,586|
Congressional Staff Salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Snowe paid her congressional staff a total of $2,470,674 in 2011. She ranks 22nd on the list of the highest paid Republican Senatorial Staff Salaries and she ranks 36th overall of the lowest paid Senatorial Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, Maine ranks 41st in average salary for senatorial staff. The average U.S. Senate congressional staff was paid $2,529,141.70 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Snowe's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $9,426,053 and $29,270,000. That averages to $19,348,026, which is higher than the average net worth of Republican Senators in 2010 of $7,054,258.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Olympia + Snowe + Maine + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- A visionary's bold declaration of conscience - Politico
- Republicans Running in Reverse - New York Times
- Senate heads toward new filibuster fight - Politico
- Gridlock In The Senate, Progress In The House - Huffington Post
- Budget deal: From 'Hell no' to 'Alright' - Fox News
- That thing you heard about the veterans cemetery wreaths isn't true -- and the ... - Medill Reports: Chicago
- Harvard's Institute Of Politics Announces New Chairman And Members Of Senior ... - Sacramento Bee
- Salazar, billionaire GOP donor to form conservation PAC - Environment & Energy Publishing
- Dianne Feinstein's Husband Tied To Questionable Dealings With US Postal ... - Huffington Post
- Power Play 12/12/13: Budget showdown on Capitol Hill - Fox News
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Snowe has been married to former Governor of Maine John R. McKernan, Jr., since 1989.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- ↑ Gov Track "Olympia Snowe," Accessed March 3, 2012
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Washington Post "Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe to retire in blow to GOP" Accessed February 29, 2012
- ↑ Associated Press, "GOP US Sen. Snowe of Maine leaving after 3 terms," February 29, 2012
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Biographical Guide to Members of Congress "Olympia Snowe," Accessed October 25, 2011
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 7, 2006"
- ↑ Open Secrets "Olympia Snowe 2006 Election Cycle," Accessed October 25, 2011
- ↑ LegiStorm "Olympia Snowe"
- ↑ OpenSecrets.org, "Snowe, (R-Maine), 2010"
- ↑ Official Website "Biography," Accessed October 25, 2011
George J. Mitchell
|U.S. Senate - Maine
| Succeeded by|