Oregon's 5th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
May 20, 2014
Heading into the election the incumbent is Kurt Schrader (D), who was first elected in 2008.
The 2012 election race in Oregon's fifth district was a close race, with incumbent Kurt Schrader securing victory with a 11.6% margin of victory. He out spent his opponent, spending $1,163,244, which is about thirty times more than the $33,207 his opponent Fred Thompson spent. The district leans democratic, according to the figures released by the Oregon Secretary of State on voter registration and partisanship, which show that there were 6.26% more Democrats registered than Republicans. Comparing these figures to the election results there was an 82.3% voter turnout with 327,970 people voting and a total of 398,500 people registered as of October 30, 2012.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
May 20, 2014, primary results
The 5th congressional district of Oregon held an election for the U.S. House of Representatives in 2012. Incumbent Kurt Schrader defeated Fred Thompson (R), Christina Jean Lugo (Pacific Green Party), and Raymond Baldwin (CST) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|U.S. House, Oregon District 5 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Kurt Schrader Incumbent||54%||177,229|
|Green||Christina Jean Lugo||2.3%||7,516|
|Source: Oregon Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Oregon Congressional District 4 Election, 2010|
|Democrat||Kurt Schrader Incumbent||52.7%||145,319|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Oregon, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Oregon Redistricting Map "Map" accessed August 9, 2012
- Open Secrets "2012 Race: Oregon District 05" accessed March 2013
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Voter Registration Reports, 2012," March, 2013
- Oregon Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"
- Associated Press, "Oregon - Summary Vote Results," May 20, 2014
- Oregon Live, "Republican Ben Pollock announces candidacy for Kurt Schrader's congressional seat," accessed October 31, 2013
- Oregon Live, "Tootie Smith launches exploratory campaign for Kurt Schrader's Oregon House seat," accessed October 23, 2013
- Oregon Live, "2012 General Election Results," November 7, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"