Oregon Director of Agriculture
|Oregon Director of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2013 FY Budget:||$83,855,689|
|Authority:||Oregon Statutes, Chapter 561.010|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||February 2003|
|Other Oregon Executive Offices|
|Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Katy Coba.
The office of Oregon Director of Agriculture is established in Chapter 561 of the Oregon Statutes.
Chapter 561.010: Department created; director, appointment, confirmation and term
|There is created a department of the government of this state to be known as the State Department of Agriculture. The executive officer of the department shall be the Director of Agriculture who shall execute all matters pertaining to the department, subject to policy direction by the State Board of Agriculture. The director shall be appointed by the Governor, subject to confirmation by the Senate in the manner provided in ORS 171.562 and 171.565, and shall serve during the pleasure of the Governor.|
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the governor shall appoint a successor.
The Oregon Department of Agriculture has three inter-related parts of its mission: food safety and consumer protection; protecting the natural resource base; and marketing agricultural products. In addition, the director has specific duties laid out in the Oregon Statutes:
- The State Department of Agriculture shall have full responsibility and authority for all the inspectional, regulatory and market development work provided for under the provisions of all statutes which the department is empowered and directed to enforce.
- The department shall encourage and work toward long-range planning to develop and promote the agricultural resources of Oregon that they may contribute as greatly as possible to the future economy of the state.
- The Director of Agriculture shall coordinate any activities of the department related to a watershed enhancement project approved by the Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board under ORS 541.375 with activities of other cooperating state and federal agencies participating in the project.
- The Director of Agriculture shall conduct any activities of the department in a manner consistent with the goal set forth in ORS 468B.155.
- Administration and Information
- Agricultural Development
- Animal Health & Identification
- Commodity Inspection
- Food Safety
- Laboratory Services
- Measurement Standards
- Natural Resources
The budget for the Department of Agriculture in Fiscal Year 2011-2013 was $83,855,689.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Oregon Department of Agriculture
635 Capitol St. NE
Salem, OR 97301-2532
Phone: (503) 986-4550
Fax: (503) 986-4747