For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Oregon Emergency Reserve Fund Amendment (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
According to the Legislative Revenue Office, the proposed tax break would reduce the state's revenues by an estimated $500 million from mid-2013 through mid-2019.
- HJR 47 - caps refunds at $500 for a single filer and $1,000 for a joint return; allow rebates to businesses with less than $5 million in sales; all remaining funds would be directed to the general reserve
- HJR 48 - cap refunds at $250 for a single filer and $500 for a joint return; all remaining funds would be directed into a general reserve.
The "kicker" was added to the Oregon Constitution in 2000. However, the "kicker" has been in state law since 1979. After a two-year budget cycle revenues in excess by 2% or more of the end-of-session projections are used for rebates to Oregon households. A corporate ticker follows the same logic.
In early 2010, following voter-approval of Ballot Measures 66 and 67 Gov. Ted Kulongoski urged lawmakers to ask voters in the November 2, 2010 statewide general election to divert part of excess tax collections into a state reserve fund. "It's time to say enough to budgeting from crisis to crisis, enough to additional tax increases — and enough to a lack of stability in our budgeting process," said the governor. In mid-February 2010, legislators announced that they did not plan to consider the governor's proposed "kicker" ballot measure.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the Oregon Constitution
According to Section 1, Article XVIII of the Oregon Constitution it requires a majority vote of both chambers of the Oregon State Legislature to place the amendment proposed by the legislature on the statewide ballot.
- The Oregonian,"Kicker changes, capital gains cut hit roadblock at Oregon Legislature," May 9, 2011
- Statesman Journal,"'Kicker' could be on ballot after Senate panel approves bill," May 5, 2011
- Statesman Journal,"Kicker reform alternative floated by House Democrats," May 26, 2011
- Statesman Journal,"Tax passage prompts call for 'kicker' reform," January 28, 2010
- The Register-Guard,"Kulongoski proposes scaling back kicker rebate," January 28, 2010