Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia Senate District 33|
|High school||Langley High School, 1975|
Phillips earned a bachelor's degree in Nutrition Science from Drexel University. She then began working for the Fairfax County Public School System, supervising the lunch programs. She then work for the Department of Agriculture.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Phillips is running in the 2011 election for Virginia Senate District 33. She was uncontested in the August 23 primary. She will face incumbent Democrat Mark Herring in the November 8 general election.
Phillips' website lists the following issues:
- Promote Job Creation
- Excerpt: "I believe the role of government is to create a “pro-business atmosphere.” Therefore, I will work to create an environment where successful businesses can create more jobs!"
- Limit Government Spending
- Excerpt: "I will work to increase transparency in the budget and the budget process for legislators and citizens to be able to compare budgets from year to year and across departments. We need zero-based budgeting, so that costs and programs are justified with each budget and not automatically assumed to need to be increased."
- Solve Transportation Problems
- Excerpt: "Transportation cannot be solved by dumping more money into the problem. Talented and innovative government, corporate, non-profit, and citizen groups must come together to reach a reasonable consensus on how to solve transportation issues, rather than allowing political partisanship to corrupt the dialogue."
- Improve Education
- Excerpt: "At the state level we need to work for fair distribution of state education funds. But there is always room for improvement, and improvement in education does not have to cost more."
Phillips and her husband, Chris, have two daughters.