New York State Assembly, District 73
Niehaus is an attorney in private practice, specializing in business and commercial litigation. He holds an BA from Princeton University and a JD from the University of Chicago Law School. He volunteers with the Yorkville Youth Athletic Association. He is married to his wife Kimberly. They have two children.
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2010
On his campaign site, Niehaus outlines his campaign themes:
- Restore Fiscal Sanity: "I will scrutinize every expenditure. I will fight to simplify the tax code and to reduce our tax rates. And I will not bow to the special interests who have bloated our state budget beyond recognition."
- Create a Friendlier Business Environment: "I will work to reduce the taxes paid by businesses and employees. I will work to simplify the regulations that drain the energy from our small businesses. And I will work to encourage new hiring, not with narrowly targeted one-time gimmicks, but with broad-based solutions that will promote permanent, sustainable growth."
- Cure Albany’s Dysfunction: "Every budget item, every tax provision, every state contract contains a special favor for somebody or for some politically-connected group...As an Assemblyman, I will study every bill to ensure that it is fair to every member of our community and does not benefit the connected few at the expense of the great majority."
- Improve Constituent Access: "I will change the way Albany does business. I will respond to the concerns of all New Yorkers, and will dedicate myself to building a state government you can trust."
- Provide an Independent Voice for Manhattan: "As a Republican from Manhattan, I will not only offer an independent voice for the 73rd Assembly District, but will serve as the focus for one and a half million citizens who have had no alternative for almost a decade."
- Reform the MTA: "Financial mismanagement and overtime abuse at the MTA have put reliable public transportation in grave danger... We must appoint an independent board to audit the MTA and root out these abuses, and reform the MTA to eliminate unnecessary layers of administration and encourage merit-based pay."
Debate, 2011 special election
New York television station, NY1, hosted a short debate between the District 73 special election candidates. Video of the debate can be found here.
- Paul Neihaus, Campaign site
- Paul Neihaus, Facebook page
- Project Vote Smart Biography
- New York Sun, "Two Chances for the GOP," August 22, 2011
- Our Town, "Niehaus Throws Hat in Ring for Bing’s Seat," July 20, 2011
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |